Is this mold or pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Reaction score
I haves Belgian tripel that fully fermented out then racked to secondary with6lbs of puréed guava. It's been about two weeks and I just noticed today there is two formations on top of the beer. What do you think it is and what should I do about it? This is the first time in 2 years of brewing I have had something like this happen, so very unsure what it is. The abv is 9%.

image-585263253.jpg

image-1525954504.jpg

well, does it matter? I can't identify the infection on sight, you would need a culture to do that. It is infected, you can probably save it.

rack out from underneath it and bottle/keg - that's your best bet.

Boy, that doesn't look good. There is a ton of headspace in there, with plenty of oxygen contact, so it could be mold. But it could be something else too. It's hard to say.

yeah yoop, but wouldn't that much time have seen the use/ejection of the oxygen through the airlock during the fermentation of the guava?

how did you sanitize your fruit before putting it in the carboy?

From the research I did, I figured racking on top of the guava with a 9%abv beer would be enough to keep it sanitized, plus it did referment creating a lot of c02 activity which caused airlock activity for days.

I haven't done this yet, but I'm trying to be read up on these events to hopefully avoid em. I'm betting without sanitizing the fruit you introduced a wild yeast into the beer. A number of folks on HBT have stated that a good vodka soak can help sanitize.

yeah yoop, but wouldn't that much time have seen the use/ejection of the oxygen through the airlock during the fermentation of the guava?

No. Remember that even in an active fermentation it's never 100% co2, and in a "secondary" it's far less. With that much headspace (and the Ideal Gas Law), an infection or mold growth wouldn't be unexpected. I'm a winemaker, and that's one of the things we always do in secondary- an appropriate sized carboy and appropriate topping up. Short term, it's usually not an issue for beer. Unless it is.

Well, I went ahead and bottled it up this morning. It was bit tart but that could be from the guava. Ill give it a try in 3-4 weeks and see how it is. either way it was an experiment, that I know how to properly execute next time! Thats what homebrewing is all about right?

Back