Is this going to make me sick/dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shataway

Reaction score
Hello all!

I know nothing that is going to live in beer will kill me but let me run this extreme scenario by you all.

A friend of mine gave me an extract kit that had been in his garage for over three years. In south Florida this can be +100F. The hopped amber extract can was blown out at the ends but still sealed. After opening, it gave a puff. The extract was really dark and still tasted sweet. The light dry extract was not longer powder and had morphed into a hard gummy blob thing. I went ahead and boiled for 30 minutes after getting the gummy blob to dissolve. Fermentation was normal. The end beer was dark brown and tasted more like a porter or stout with a significant celery note. I went ahead and put it in the keg to carb for two weeks while we are traveling.

We we get back, I plan to invite my friend over for a tasting. Depending on how bad it still is, we will probably dump it. Don't worry, I have other beers/wine for him to sample.

If we end up drinking a lot of it, is it going to make us sick or dead? I felt no ill effects after the previous small tastes but would like some other opinions.

Bulging cans are never a good sign, in food or in malt extract. A bulging can is a sure sign of spoilage.

I wouldn't consume it, as it could very well be botulism. It may not be. But I wouldn't risk it.

You said you tasted the extract, if you didn't get sick then, you shouldn't after it was brewed.

If it fermented, since nothing pathogenic can exist in beer, then you'd be fine.

You boiled it so you killed most anything that could be harmful, then fermentation changed the ph, making it further inhospitable to anything nasty.

If it smells nasty that should be a clue. But I'd say it shouldn't be harmful...It may not taste all that good, but it shouldn't harm you.

You said you tasted the extract, if you didn't get sick then, you shouldn't after it was brewed.

Beat me to it. If you were worried about something really harmful being in it, then why the f*** did you put it in your mouth? It didn't make you sick when you did that, though, so after boiling, adding hops, and fermenting, it would certainly be fine.

I have a feeling the can simply expanded from the heat.

The boil will have killed off any microorganisms that may have inhabited the extract, HOWEVER, they may have produced toxins that will not be removed by the boil. ALWAYS throw away bulging cans.

Just as some background, I work as a cook and am ServSafe certified by the National Restaurant Association. Bulging cans are a sign of botulism, an anaerobic bacteria that does not need oxygen to survive. Botulism produces toxins that are not killed by heat. You may not have consumed enough toxins when tasting hydrometer samples to get sick, and you may not even by drinking a full pint, but you never know.

Where should we send the flowers?

Seriously though, as stated already, if tasting the extract did not make you sick and it didn't smell or taste terrible while brewing I doubt it'll kill you. But, I would be surprised if it is any good. Keep us posted.

Don't risk the bulging can. Extract is cheap. Why chance it....

Bulginh cans are a possible sign of botulism.

Botulism spores can survive boiling temps.

The risk is low....but this is one risk I wouldn't take.

Like others have said, the bulge may have been caused by temps, but if it wasn't...

Seriously? You answered your own question. If your concern was great enough to ask then common sense is telling you something. You should listen...

Note: Botulism may not make the product taste any different than it should.

I wouldn't chance it, man.

HopsMan said:
Note: Botulism may not make the product taste any different than it should.

I wouldn't chance it, man.

After doing some reading, the taste test was my big mistake. According to cdc website, boiling for 30 minutes is enough to breakdown the toxins and ensure food safety.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

After doing some reading, the taste test was my big mistake. According to cdc website, boiling for 30 minutes is enough to breakdown the toxins and ensure food safety.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

CDC does recommend boiling 30 minutes to denature the toxin before eating.

You didn't consume the extract immediately though.

Botulism spores do survive boiling, so it is possible botulism is now growing in your wort and producing new toxin...unlikely with the yeast fermentation, but still possible.

Just an FYI, despite the whole "Nothing pathogenic grows in beer" mantra. This is one example where it might be possible....

I would be more concerned that this will become your best brew ever. How are you going to achieve it again? A three year wait time for cans to bulge would be unbearable!

Back