Is this extract or all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recipe is all grain. Like most, however, they include the extract version at the bottom. What that means is you should find extract that matches their specs and substitute it for all of the grains called out in the recipe. The language is a bit confusing as they want you to use an extract that is at least 50% wheat malt, and the remaining percentage made from pale 2 row or pils.

You'll skip the mash step by immediately moving to the boil as normal for extract as there are no steeping grains on this one.

Hmmm. Ok good to know thanks. Maybe I need to go to my brew store to find the proper extract. Not sure I’ll find it online.

Do you think this recipe would be good even without any grains steeping?

Do you think this recipe would be good even without any grains steeping?

On the bottom of the linked recipe:

EXTRACT VERSION
Substitute 7.3 lb (3.3 kg) Weizen light malt extract or 5.9 lb (2.7 kg) Weizen dried malt extract for all grains. Use a Weizen extract containing at least 50 percent wheat with the remainder pale or Pils malt.

'Weizen' means 'Wheat.' Briess makes 'Bavarian' Wheat malt extract, dry and liquid, it contains 65% wheat and 35% barley. Many other maltsters make a similar product.

For that recipe you do not need to steep any additional grain.* Just use the extract. I prefer dry extracts over most liquid, as they keep better and stay fresher.

* The original all grain recipe mentions 0.5 pound of Munich malt. You could substitute 1/3-1/2 of a pound of your wheat DME with an equal amount of Munich DME, but it's such a small amount, not sure it's really worth it.
Or you can 'mini mash' 1/2 pound of Munich malt and add the liquid to your DME based wort.

On a side note, I think the Homebrewer's Association can be quite a bit clearer with their instructions, especially with their conversion instructions from all grain to extract, since that's mostly targeted to more novice brewers. Even more compelling given the year of publication: 2010.

There's no need to call the malt extract 'Weizen' as there's a perfect English translation for it (Wheat) and this recipe has little to do with Germany or its tradition of Weissbier.

Thanks for the help that clears it up! I was getting confused with the words “all grain” in the conversion note. Replace “all the grains”. Not actually an all-grain recipe! Haha.

Do you think this one is worth the effort to brew?

Do you think this one is worth the effort to brew?
It's basically a fruit flavored wheat beer. We have a wheat beer celebration/competition every June. We get 10-15 wheat beers there, so I've seen and tasted quite a few variations on the theme. I think it would be tasty and good. Especially in Summer.

Where do you think getting your mango and passion fruit puree from? Check on availability, quality, and price.

Last time, a few years ago, when I wanted to buy some (canned) Passion fruit (for a wheat beer!) it was not available anymore in the Asian store, where they always had it for as long as I can remember. When asking the manager he said it had become prohibitively expensive. He could order it... no thanks, I'm not that desperate for it, it was only an idea. And yup it was sky high, wherever I looked!

Back