Is this even possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qeelin

Reaction score
Here's a challenge for you pro recipe builders. Is there any way possible to create a grain bill with these OG and FG gravities? I've worked with Beersmith trying to find a way to make it work and I don't see how it's possible. Here they are:

OG 1.068
FG 1.030
ABV 6.2%
Using Maris Otter and Crystal malt.

The challenge is making the FG that high. I know it has to have some unfermentable sugars in it to end that high but I can't keep the OG even close to that low. The closest I can get is an OG of 1.096 which drives up the ABV quite a bit.

Get to work with your calculations and help me figure this one out. I'll give more details of why I need this later on.

Good luck!

Build a grain bill to get to 1.060. Ferment out to whatever it ends up with. Boil enough lactose to get to 1.030 and add to beer.

That would work but it cheating a bit, lol. I want to know if you can make an all-grain recipe that would start at 1.068 and end at 1.030 without any special processes.

Qeelin said:
That would work but it cheating a bit, lol. I want to know if you can make an all-grain recipe that would start at 1.068 and end at 1.030 without any special processes.

Any non-fermentable you add will work the same way and add non- fermenting gravity points to both OG and FG.

It's pretty hard to stop fermentation until it's complete. Some wine makers use campden tablets or stabilizers (or both) to halt fermentation to make a sweeter wine. Also, cold crashing might help. Though none of this is a full proof way to halt fermentation.

I'd probably cold crash and add a clarifier, then rack off the yeast and add the stabilizer.

Not sure how well Beersmith works with calculating gravities based on mash temps. But if you did a single step mash at 160*, you would have a lot of unfermentables. Then use a low attenuating yeast, and your FG would be 1025+ I bet.

Why do you want a beer with such a high FG. You trying to put on some weight?
You could use a ton of carapils and crystal malt.

OK...Ill play

1.068 to 1.030 is 54.46ADF so large crystal additions and high mash temps to start...then use a low attenuating yeast like wyeast 1968 and check your gravity daily. If you think the gravity is getting too low then add a few camden tabs and cool it down asap.

It's pretty hard to stop fermentation until it's complete. Some wine makers use campden tablets or stabilizers (or both) to halt fermentation to make a sweeter wine. Also, cold crashing might help. Though none of this is a full proof way to halt fermentation.

I'd probably cold crash and add a clarifier, then rack off the yeast and add the stabilizer.

I don't want to stop it artificially, I want it to have enough unfermentible sugars to stop on its own at 1.030

Why do you want a beer with such a high FG. You trying to put on some weight?
You could use a ton of carapils and crystal malt.

I'm trying to clone an extract kit. I've brewed it before and want to duplicate in in all-grain. I only know a few details about it and I'm trying to fill in the blanks.

You cant get 6.2%abv from 1.068og and 1.030fg

eta: 5.04%abv max

The 6.2% isn't as important as the FG goal. I can make a grain bill that has an OG of 1.096 and Beersmith says it'll finish at 1.028 but the alcohol is way too high. I don't want it to be much above 6.5% or 7%.

1.068 to 1.030 is 54.46ADF so large crystal additions and high mash temps to start...then use a low attenuating yeast like wyeast 1968 and check your gravity daily. If you think the gravity is getting too low then add a few camden tabs and cool it down asap.

That's where I'm at, large amount of crystal, high mash temps, and Maltodextrine or Lactose or both. I forgot to mention that I would be using Wyeast 1099 Whitbread but 1968 might work better because of its slightly lower attenuation.

A better approach might be to post the extract kit recipe and have one of us convert it to all-grain, which is relatively straightforward.

A better approach might be to post the extract kit recipe and have one of us convert it to all-grain, which is relatively straightforward.

I've done that here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/williams-fireside-clone-220850/
The problem is that I don't know the exact recipe. Williams doesn't reveal their ingredients. I'm dyeing to replicate this.

Note: The OG of 1.068 is based on information that they give out. I don't know what it was when I brewed it. all I know is that the FG was 1.030 for me and they say to bottle when it is 1.032 or below. Here is the link to the kit so you can read it for yourself. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-FIRESIDE-ALE-not-available-until-Fall-2011-P698C183.aspx

Back