Is this beer kit worth buying?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photohype

Reaction score
I am looking around the internet at different beer brewing kits. I would prefer to purchase a kit since the price is a lot better than purchasing everything individually. My local brew supply store sells Brewer's Best kits and equipment. When I was last in there they had a few Brewer's BeAst kits, which is the larger kit with the stainless steel brew pot and everything else. I already have a pot here at home and really don't need to spend the extra money on that kit so I found the Brewer's Best Deluxe kit on Amazon that doesn't include the pot but everything else seems to be in the kit. Would y'all suggest this kit or do y'all know of something better that would be better? Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC55H24/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep an eye on Homebrewfinds.com they sometimes have great deals. They send daily emails on deals as well. I seen a buy one get one free deal on fermenters today, but cannot remember the deal. GL

Looks like a great kit to start with, good choice. Now you just need to decide what you are going to brew. You might also pick up some cheap vodka for the airlock.

Have fun and enjoy using it :mug:

Are you sure you want glass? I'd consider plastic if I were you. Lighter and safer.

Are you sure you want glass? I'd consider plastic if I were you. Lighter and safer.

I went with glass after considering both options. My order has already been placed and should arrive by the end of next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would suggest one thing off the top of my head. That would be a carboy handle.
http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer-carboy-acc.shtml

Its well worth the $7 when you're trying to move that 5gallon glass bottle full of liquid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm definitely going to consider purchasing this handle. I'll look at my local brew supply store to see if they carry them. It looks like this will be well worth the purchase price! Thanks for the advice!

It beats the hell out of bear hugging it and hopping you don't trip!

I'm definitely going to consider purchasing this handle. I'll look at my local brew supply store to see if they carry them. It looks like this will be well worth the purchase price! Thanks for the advice!

These are NOT meant to haul full carboys! You need a harness or a simple milk crate for that.

So many beers... so little time.

These are NOT meant to haul full carboys! You need a harness or a simple milk crate for that.

^^This^^
Do not carry a full Carboy with this or you can snap the neck and have a dangerous and messy disaster!

Sent from the Commune

Be aware that, if you buy the Brewers Best batch kits, they'll tell you to give it a week in the primary and transfer to secondary no matter what the style of beer. That's really not needed and can be detrimental. Give it a few weeks in the primary, make sure it's done via gravity readings and go straight to bottling.

Look into a brew hauler to carry a full carboy with. As mentioned above, that carboy handle is to be used when moving an empty carboy only.

Sent from my Desire HD using Home Brew mobile app

Guess I should look into a brew hauler myself. Been using the handle on full carboys :/ never really crossed my mind about it breaking. Either way the link I posted has the brew hauler too.

seems like a nice price to me for a kit . Now all you need to do is decide what kit you are going to brew . I brew BB kits . Most of them i have liked . My LHBS also deals in BB products .
Personally i prefer the buckets . I just do not like the idea of the carboy for some reason . I think it is just because it looks very hard to clean and I hate cleaning .

I appreciate all of the advice and tips. I wasn't aware that the carboy handle was meant to carry only empty carboy's. Very glad I read that before I went out and purchased one and attempted to carry a filled glass carboy!
BigFloyd - thanks for the advice concerning the timing in the primary. I will have a ton of questions once I receive my brewing kit and I start off brewing 5 gallon batches.

Looks like a great kit to start with, good choice. Now you just need to decide what you are going to brew. You might also pick up some cheap vodka for the airlock.

Have fun and enjoy using it :mug:

What is the reason for adding vodka for the airlock instead of water?

After finding a large crack in the bottom of a glass carboy that I just carried up a flight of stairs, I got rid of all my glass carboys and replaced them with Better Bottles. The chance of a break just isn't worth it to me.

I just use my left-over Star-San water, or plain tap water. I personally think vodka in an airlock is unnecessary... But it won't hurt anything.

The idea is that nothing will be able to grow in the vodka. And if it were to back flow into the beer it wouldn't really effect flavor. But I use my sanitizer mix and don't bother with vodka. To each his own though.

Get a bottle of Idophor and use it diluted properly to fill the airlock. Then you can use the vinator to sanitize bottles and spray your racking cane, buckets and hoses as well.

Back