Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSuesBrews

Reaction score
Hi all. This has been in primary for three weeks. Infection? Dump or keg? Thanks ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399222854.003963.jpg

I would lay kitchen paper over it, draw to the side and remove it, put the lid back on for another five days or so, then have a look, then bottle it.

Thanks guys. I planned to keg with gelatin. Is this ok or should I bottle? What difference would it make. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why do you need to add gelatin ? Unless you have experience of what gelatin is , what it does, or definitely know you need it why add it ? I would not. Gelatin is generally not required.

Thanks guys. I planned to keg with gelatin. Is this ok or should I bottle? What difference would it make. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

IF it is an infection then your best choice in my opinion is keg. With bottles you could end up with gushers or bottle bombs. But with a keg you can regulate the excess pressure from an infection.

Didn't you ever hear what Charley P said about tasting enverything at every step, just to get used to what is normal?

So, how does it taste and smell?

It looks like yeastie floaties to me. Have at it.

Didn't you ever hear what Charley P said about tasting enverything at every step, just to get used to what is normal?

So, how does it taste and smell?

It looks like yeastie floaties to me. Have at it.

I agree, the film could easily be something from washing the fermenter. Do u use oxyclean, pbw, or plain old soap? I have seen this before, also I get a slight film from using baked pumpkins in pumpkin ales. I would taste it. And worst case, you could have a realy good sour beer, just let it sit for a few months. Time cures most things

I would taste, keg, drink.
If its been three weeks I would think any infection would look worse then that. As stated, it does look like yeast. If it doesn't smell bad, give it a taste. Chances are your good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back