Is this a good thief?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
from Northern Brewer:
thief.jpg

And from you-all's experience how much better is this than a turkey baster?

Thanks.

I have the same one. I haven't had any issues with infection, but it makes me nervous due to the 3 piece design, there are little ridges that hold the separate pieces together that could possibly hold bacteria.

I use this one from AHS, and like it a lot. I recommend it, but it's the only design I've really used. It is easy to clean and sanitize, though.

Thats what I have and it works just fine. I also like that it comes apart for cleaning. Never used a turkey baster so can't help with that. Hope this helps. Lance

I use the Fermtech model myself (AHS carries it). A simple design, but very effective. Doubles as a hydrometer testing vessel, so one less piece of equipment.

I use the Fermtech model myself (AHS carries it). A simple design, but very effective. Doubles as a hydrometer testing vessel, so one less piece of equipment.

That's what I like about my Fermtech. I just drop the hydrometer right in there.

That's what I like about my Fermtech. I just drop the hydrometer right in there.

Indeed, and it's suited me well for some time. But as is my tendency, it's time for an upgrade. Say refractometer with me! :rockin:

I use this one from AHS, and like it a lot. I recommend it, but it's the only design I've really used. It is easy to clean and sanitize, though.

I saw this, but there really is no useful photo so I can't quite picture it or how it would work. Is the idea that you let the sample dump back into the wort (thus removing the enjoyment of drinking it?)

I saw this, but there really is no useful photo so I can't quite picture it or how it would work. Is the idea that you let the sample dump back into the wort (thus removing the enjoyment of drinking it?)

It's basically a tube that tapers towards the bottom with a valve (similar to what is on the bottom of a bottling wand). Stick it straight into the carboy, the pressure opens the valve and the sample is taken. You can certainly drink the sample after testing! If you don't, you are preserving volume.

You could dump the sample back in, but I don't. In my mind, it's a little more sanitary (no thumb over the hole). As described, it's a clear tube with a gravity valve on the bottom that is closed by the pressure of the liquid inside. It's long enough to reach the bottom of my better bottles, and considerably narrower than the opening on the bottles.

You could dump the sample back in, but I don't. In my mind, it's a little more sanitary (no thumb over the hole). As described, it's a clear tube with a gravity valve on the bottom that is closed by the pressure of the liquid inside. It's long enough to reach the bottom of my better bottles, and considerably narrower than the opening on the bottles.

The only problem I have with this model is it does not fit in my 4l wine jugs, that i use for small batches of mead and wine. Otherwise it is easy to use and I usually drain the sample into a cup for tasting after I measure the gravity. I've noticed that the wine thief is narrower than the test tubes I have and so uses less beer or wine to take a reading.

Craig

Back