Is there even a chance of this working?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi HBT! This is my first ever brew and I'm using the Young's Starter Kit. You can see the instructions and equipment here.
I've followed the instructions pretty much to the word, the only thing I did differently was adding the yeast immediately after the cold water (a bad idea?)
Anyway after reading a few how-to's (a bit late now, I know), on this forum, I've realized that you're supposed to boil the wort in a pot and then add it to the fermenting bin, rather than throw all the ingredients straight into the bin and mix them like my instructions say.
Anyway I'm getting a bit long-winded here, what i really want to know is, do any of you experienced brewers think my brew has a chance?

You did a no-boil kit; the hops are already inside in your kit. The boil kits we're talking about are different, in that you have to boil the wort to release the bittering compounds out of the hops.

There are different types of kits. Some have extract, some have extract with grains, some are prehopped, etc. If you follow the technique specific to the type of brew you're making, then you'll be good to go.

So, yes, your kit will work just fine!

Sure, it has a great chance.

There are two reasons for boiling the wort:
1. To kill off any nasty organisms that may spoil your beer. (This is very unlikely to happen.)
2. To extract the bitterness from the hops. This is absolutely essential if you are using hops (which most brewers do).
However, your recipe doesn't contain any hops, which means your extract already has the hops added and processed.
If you sanitized everything well, you are well on the way to making beer. One word of advice, don't bottle as soon as the bubbles stop. Leave it for at least 2 weeks and take a hydrometer reading. Then take another every 3 days, and bottle (or pressure keg) when you get identical hydrometer readings 3 days apart.
Another word of advice. If you are bottling, get a bottling bucket and bottling wand. Boil all the priming sugar in a little water, add it to the bottling bucket, and then syphon the beer on top of the sugar solution. This results in much more even carbonation than priming each bottle individually, and you will end up with a clearer beer as you don't have to worry about leaving the trub behind while bottling. The bottling wand also makes bottling much easier.

Good luck,

-a.

Ahhh great, thanks for the replies and advice :D

EDIT= Got another question:eek: At the moment the brew is looking pretty inactive, with a really thin head (it looks like a giant, really sweet-smelling pint:confused:) What should a fermenting beer look like?

A fermenting beer looks thoroughly disgusting.:D
It has a revolting looking krausen which looks a bit like beer head, except it is creamy, with blotches of brown stuff which seems to form a slight crust. If you can see the beer itself (below the krausen) it is murky, and has clumps of yeast rising and falling, rather like a lava lamp from the 60's.
However, it can take up to 3 days to get to this state, and when the fermentation dies down, the krausen falls and the beer begins to clear.
How long ago did you pitch the yeast? It sounds like yours is in the lag phase where the yeasts are reproducing. This is pretty uninteresting unless you are a yeast.

-a.

It was pitched about 8 hours ago, so not time to worry yet (although I still am worrying, of course)
Is there anything I have to do during fermentation (like skimming the foam or something) or do I just sit back and watch?

It was pitched about 8 hours ago, so not time to worry yet (although I still am worrying, of course)
Is there anything I have to do during fermentation (like skimming the foam or something) or do I just sit back and watch?

It's hard, but the best thing to do is to just walk away and forget about it for at least 10 days. Keep it in a cool place, like 65 degrees F (18-19 C) and don't think about it. Don't open it, don't shake it, etc. Patience will pay off for you!

It has a revolting looking krausen which looks a bit like beer head, except it is creamy, with blotches of brown stuff which seems to form a slight crust. If you can see the beer itself (below the krausen) it is murky, and has clumps of yeast rising and falling, rather like a lava lamp from the 60's.

I came downstairs this morning to find what is described above, so everything seems to be in order.:ban:I can't stop looking in at it but I'm sure I'll get bored of it eventually and leave it in peace.

Probably won't be good beer,but you will have beer:Dcongrats on your first brew:mug:

Back