is there enough time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobomilitia

Reaction score
I might throw a superbowl party and was thinking it would be awesome to have a keg of homebrew ready to serve for the event. as of now I dont have any kegging equipment. I would obviously have to get a kit [ this is the one im looking at http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=514 ]. I have a stout in secondary but I don't want to use this one. I would rather get a cheapass extract kit with a quick turnaround. If I got a simple ale kit, do you think it could be ready for the superbowl party? I know its kind of rushing it so I don't think it will work, especially since ive never kegged before. Two weeks is not a lot of time for the beer in general, so i am skeptical. It wont have time to condition, but I could quick carbonate it that day and potentially have it ready by game time.

how crazy am I? Should I just get the kegging system and then have it ready to tailgate for baseball season? (I go to LSU, we tailgate even for baseball games)

just wanted some advice from people with some experience in this :mug:

You used the word skeptical regarding the outcome, obviously you know the answer here.

Nothing like getting in a hurry to ensure things don't turn out well. Or at least as well as they could. Do you want to rush a weak/green beer out and tell everybody this is what home brewed beer tastes like?

superbowl? as in 16 days?

it's definitely possible, but I doubt it will be very good at all.

I currently ferment beers for 4 weeks before kegging, but I used to do it for just two weeks. Most come out fine after two weeks as long as you provide plenty of O2, then pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast, then control fermentation temperatures. I'm assuming you'd be after a lower-gravity beer.

I say you should try it. Worst case, you decide on Saturday it's not going to work and go buy some 30-packs.

okay i really didnt think so but i figured id ask. i guess ill just have to serve my bottled homebrew (probably along with cheapass beer for those with no taste). so if i use this kit (in the future) once i take a beer out of secondary (or if it finishes in primary) into the keg and let it condition in the keg? would it need a constant co2 supply to condition? I dont have a dedicated kegerator fridge so it would be best if it was only in the fridge while i plan on drinking it. also, could i take it out of the fridge halfway-ish drank and store (with co2 in the empty space to keep it from spoiling) for a while and then put back in the fridge later without it going bad or is it like most kegs that need to be drank once they are tapped?

sorry for some of the n00bish questions, i just want to get a feel for what i might get myself into.

I can get a reasonable gravity beer ready to drink in under 10 days with force carbing it. There is a thread around here about being able to brew beer quickly if your control is pretty tight. Basically, pitch plenty of healthy yeast I do a 1.5 - 2 L starter. Ferment cool enough, and perhaps some gelatin for clearing. You can get a great beer out in 10 days if you control those ferm temps and pitch plenty of yeast.

read this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/

I had great results with a pale ale fermenting 10 days and force carbing 1-2 days. It's a little green but still fantastic. Even today at 9 days you could do it.. but why not just keg the stout?

No updates yet - doesnt' seem like OP is gonna have a SB party after all :(

I won't say it can't be done, I know it can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, if you are going to keg, cruise Craigslist and get a dedicated fridge.

I won't say it can't be done, I know it can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, if you are going to keg, cruise Craigslist and get a dedicated fridge.

i think im just going to hold off on the keg for now. i was busy all weekend so there wont be enough time.

im in college and dont really have the room or the money for a dedicated keggerator. thats why i wanted to just be able to put it in my fridge when it was ready to drink. does it have to be carbonated cold or could it be left in storage and then pulled out and put in the fridge after a week or so?

You can prime a keg with sugar if you choose. No, it doesn't have to be carbed cold. If you don't have a dedicated fridge I would recommend sticking to bottles for now.

Have you seen the threads about converting a mini fridge into a small kegerator? People have also started using the Miller Fridge Dispensor thingie as a keg. COuple of those and you would have it made. Bottling is just a TON of work, that's all.

Have you seen the threads about converting a mini fridge into a small kegerator? People have also started using the Miller Fridge Dispensor thingie as a keg. COuple of those and you would have it made. Bottling is just a TON of work, that's all.

yeah thats what ive been looking at lately. hey, have any of you heard of using a magic chef MCBC58DST wine cooler to convert into a kegerator? i found one on craigslist for $150. its specs are here http://www2.shopping.com/Magic-Chef-MCBC58DST-Stainless-Steel/info

it should definitely be big enough, probably for even 2 or 3 kegs and co2. just not sure if it will get cold enough and if i can get a tap in at the top

yeah thats what ive been looking at lately. hey, have any of you heard of using a magic chef MCBC58DST wine cooler to convert into a kegerator? i found one on craigslist for $150. its specs are here http://www2.shopping.com/Magic-Chef-MCBC58DST-Stainless-Steel/info

it should definitely be big enough, probably for even 2 or 3 kegs and co2. just not sure if it will get cold enough and if i can get a tap in at the top

I saw somebody on here the other day who was using one for a fermentation chamber. They loved it.

Latest posts

Back