Is there a way to Ferment in a common Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvturakhia

Reaction score
I bought a mr. Beer, and where i live temps are about close to 30c - 40c. I want to some how use my normal fridge which holds my normal groceries to ferment. How can i make this happen. I dont have much room in my house as i live in a studio apartment. Please help

you could try making lagers in your fridge. i think fridges are too cold for most ale yeasts. you could also look into a swamp cooler

I have fermented lagers in a side by side by turning the controls to the highest setting. This kept it at 42f, which is quite cool, but worked fine. A long, slow, fermentation however.

I also would not recommend this if it is your only refrigerator. Too warm for food and the ferment takes up too much space.

You could try covering it with a heating pad in the frig. You would really have to watch the temp though and your frig would be working overtime to keep everything else cool.

I'd go with the swamp cooler. I got myself a big thermal bag from Sam's Club and 4 2-liter bottles of soda. Fill the soda bottles about 2/3 full with water, drop 'em in the freezer. Twice a day I swap out the ice bottles with the now melted bottles in the bag and i keep my carboys a fairly constant 66 degrees, which is nice for most ales. If you're going to lager, you'll need a wine fridge or something. I would advise against trying to use your food fridge for fermentation as well. You're going to put a lot of undue stress on the compressor trying to keep it at proper temps, and has already been mentioned food-safe temperature and fermentation-happy temperatures don't really go hand in hand.

Two choices: Fridge too warm to maintain food safety or too cool for most brewing. The other choice is to get a small dorm fridge. They are cheap and you can add a secondary thermostat (tons of discussions on HBT about that). They don't take up much room either. You can find them on Craigslist all the time.

Back