Is there a recipe database?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNAndy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking through the recipes forum and there are so many recipes, I'm overwhelmed. I feel like I could hunt for hours and not really find what I'm looking for. How would anyone ever know if the same recipe is posted twice?

It would be really convenient if there were a searchable database.

Let's say you want to find a light colored and lightly hopped ale recipe that, when finished, had about 6% ABV. If there were a database, you could do a search on an ale using a narrow bitterness range, a narrow color range, and a narrow ABV range. I'm sure there would be several results, but then you could choose among them based upon the ingredients you happened to have on hand or could easily obtain at your local homebrew shop. Or whatever other criteria you prefer.

By the way, if you happen to know of a light colored, lightly hopped, all malted grain (or all malted grain extract) ale recipe that results in about 6% alcohol, please share.

I'm looking through the recipes forum and there are so many recipes, I'm overwhelmed. I feel like I could hunt for hours and not really find what I'm looking for. How would anyone ever know if the same recipe is posted twice?

It would be really convenient if there were a searchable database.

Let's say you want to find a light colored and lightly hopped ale recipe that, when finished, had about 6% ABV. If there were a database, you could do a search on an ale using a narrow bitterness range, a narrow color range, and a narrow ABV range. I'm sure there would be several results, but then you could choose among them based upon the ingredients you happened to have on hand or could easily obtain at your local homebrew shop. Or whatever other criteria you prefer.

By the way, if you happen to know of a light colored, lightly hopped, all malted grain (or all malted grain extract) ale recipe that results in about 6% alcohol, please share.

You can use the filters to sort by beer style in the recipes forum - that helps a ton

They are sorted into BJCP styles which helps to narrow it down as well.

I would recommend a Cream Ale if you aren't opposed to using corn adjuncts - very taste, light colored, lightly hopped

Go to www.beersmithrecipes.com and create a free account. You can browse tens of thousands of recipes by style, but not by any narrower criteria.

Here’s the Blonde Ale recipe I use. It’s <6%, but bump the fermentables 10-15% and you’ll be there. I mash with 1.5 qts/lb @150°F for 60 minutes and batch sparge to reach my desired preboil volume (for which your mileage will most likely vary).
2CE1D81F-5229-43E4-A6C0-D92451FAD7FE.png

beerandbrewing.com is an excellent resource. They have tons of recipes as well as a "Make Your Best....Style", where they do a great job of explaining how and why they choose ingredients/ methods to brew a particular style.

I've read quite a few recipes from that website and use it often as a base when I'm brewing something new (to me).

Back