Is safale t-58 clean at lower temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
Trying to use this yeast in an oatmeal stout, because people say it usually finishes sweet, but I don't want the spicy notes, is it clean at lower temps? I have s04 too

T-58 is not appropriate for an oatmeal stout- even cooler it'll throw fruity and spicy esters. It'll probably end up more like an oatmeal Belgian Brown. Which doesn't sound bad, but I don't think is what you're going for. Also it's a pretty strong attenuator.

No, it's actually incredibly clean nowadays. It's as if they've changed something, compared to the old version of the yeast.
I don't know how old the yeast is, someone sent me a repacked version of the 500g pack
But I'll give it a try
I recently brewed an oatmeal stout with us05, fermented at 18-20c, it ended up with a funny fruity aroma and flavor , maybe a little bit of citrus? Could it be the hops I used? I used Columbus for bittering at 60min and mt hood for flavor and aroma

I don't know how old the yeast is, someone sent me a repacked version of the 500g pack
But I'll give it a try
I recently brewed an oatmeal stout with us05, fermented at 18-20c, it ended up with a funny fruity aroma and flavor , maybe a little bit of citrus? Could it be the hops I used? I used Columbus for bittering at 60min and mt hood for flavor and aroma
A traditional UK stout usually doesn't have aroma or flavour additions. It's bittering only and us05 is remarkably clean so what's not fitting might very well be caused by the late hop additions.

S04 is actually my favourite stout yeast, I'd recommend that one.

A traditional UK stout usually doesn't have aroma or flavour additions. It's bittering only and us05 is remarkably clean so what's not fitting might very well be caused by the late hop additions.

S04 is actually my favourite stout yeast, I'd recommend that one.
Yes, thanks for the response, that's the yeast I'll use next time

No, it's actually incredibly clean nowadays. It's as if they've changed something, compared to the old version of the yeast.
When was the last time you had used T-58?
I am fermenting with it right now and am really curious how it wil turn out. It got pretty hot!

When was the last time you had used T-58?
I am fermenting with it right now and am really curious how it wil turn out. It got pretty hot!
I tried to make a Belgian stout this summer using T-58 and I think it's very boring. Very little yeast character actually. I fermented it in my living room of 25+°C and most character still disappeared after three or four weeks. When I used this yeast three years ago it was very much like a poorly attenuating Saison yeast, but in this dark beer I really didn't get any character. That was fermented a lot cooler though, probably around 18°C at most.

I tried to make a Belgian stout this summer using T-58 and I think it's very boring. Very little yeast character actually. I fermented it in my living room of 25+°C and most character still disappeared after three or four weeks. When I used this yeast three years ago it was very much like a poorly attenuating Saison yeast, but in this dark beer I really didn't get any character. That was fermented a lot cooler though, probably around 18°C at most.
Sad to hear that ... I have had good success with safbrew be-134, belle saison and lalbrew farmhouse this summer though. All fermented on the hot side.

I have gotten very variable results from T-58, and none of them were impressive.

Meanwhile, I've been very impressed by several batches with S-04 recently. It is my new favorite yeast for clean ales. Cleaner than US-05, and high but not super high attenuation.

Back