is oxidation a concern when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totes

Reaction score
New to big batch kombucha....going to bottle it.
Is oxidation an issue like it would be for wine/beer?

No, in kombucha it isn't much of an issue, since the culture actually requires oxygen.

No, in kombucha it isn't much of an issue, since the culture actually requires oxygen.

Snarf is right. You can add 1-2 tbs to a gallon before bottling to carbonate if left in warm dark place for 1-2 weeks depending. Once racked in sterile bottles the lack of oxygen with the addition of sugar will carbonate. The adding of sugar will protect from spoilage. Make sure to have a plastic bottle with same capacity filled and next to your batch. Once the plastic bottle is hard and blossoms you need to chill the bottles. Otherwise you have an exciting surprise.... Tasty and painful shrapnel. I learned the hard way. The bf told me to try the plastic method. I now realize after the fact and many laughs I should always listen to an experienced microbrewer......

Snarf is right. You can add 1-2 tbs to a gallon before bottling to carbonate if left in warm dark place for 1-2 weeks depending. Once racked in sterile bottles the lack of oxygen with the addition of sugar will carbonate. The adding of sugar will protect from spoilage. Make sure to have a plastic bottle with same capacity filled and next to your batch. Once the plastic bottle is hard and blossoms you need to chill the bottles. Otherwise you have an exciting surprise.... Tasty and painful shrapnel. I learned the hard way. The bf told me to try the plastic method. I now realize after the fact and many laughs I should always listen to an experienced microbrewer......

I am confused. You cannot bottled condition to a specific co2 volume with kombucha? I would think a similar method to to beercidermead would work, .5-1oz table sugar to gallon?

I bottled in 1L swing tops, did not flush the bottles. I did not prime for carbonation either. I am hoping the o2 in the headspace doesn't spoil things.
Next time i will flush the bottles with co2, just to be safe. Or I will minimally prime them if that outcome can be controlled.

I am confused. You cannot bottled condition to a specific co2 volume with kombucha? I would think a similar method to to beercidermead would work, .5-1oz table sugar to gallon?

When you bottle the kombucha, there's usually plenty of sugar left in the brew. Unless you measure exactly how much, you have no way of knowing how much co2 you're going to end up with. If you add priming sugar, it's probably going to be too much and you might end up with bottle bombs!

For bottling, we use 1/2 teaspoon of sucanat per 16oz bottle. I believe this helps in building carbonation during secondary fermentation.

Back