Is my Yeast still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy-Q

Reaction score
Following the instructions in the Yeast Washing Illustrated sticky, I washed some WLP530 from a Dubble I made. Now following the instructions for making a starter, I made a 2L starter with 200g of DME. As far as I know, all sanitation steps were followed. I shook the growler containing the starter quite frequently until sleep time. In the morning I swirled it again and noticed some "floaties". What might this be? Even now, 17 hrs later, there is still "floaties", but they seem to disapate when shaken. I am planning to brew my first all grain batch tomorrow and was planning to use this stater. There is a "head" of foam when I swirl as well...never really noticed any krausen. What signs should I be looking for to indicate a bad yeast?

Taste the starter beer and give it a sniff. If it doesn't taste nasty, it's fine. The floaties are probably just leftover krausen bits. Cheers!

Mine did the same thing before I got a stir plate I had plenty of starters that did very little. Those chunks are yeast..... I pretty sure imo u are golden
Chopps

Back