is my yeast bad ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanch

Reaction score
i have been using saff ale -04 powdered yeast for a long time on.i decided to do an experiment with the last batch i brewed 10 gallons on sunday 5 gal got saffale 04 and 5 got white labs London ale liquid yeast bolth fermenters got the same treatment. i just dump in the yeast and shook the bucket. any help would be appreciated

sorry i had an emergency plumbing issue and must have posted before i read what i wrote the 5 gal with the fancy liquid yeast is doing nothing the safale-04 is bubling away and still the liquid hasn't produced a single bubble it has been in the fermentor for 4 days now any my only thaut is that it may have froze it was in my truck for a couple of hours after i got back from the lhbs

Is the fermenter perfectly sealed? Bubbles are a pretty poor indication of fermentation, since a bad seal will destroy any chance of having bubbles come out your airlock.

If you really want to get technical about the experiment, pull a gravity samples every few days from each and see how it's fermenting. Then, once everything's bottled, do a blind taste test.

But I doubt your yeast is bad. Yeast can survive conditions that would likely kill me or you.

i did finaly see one bubble i think my root cellar is a little chilly i will wait till tomorrow to pull a gravity reading and do so every couple of days i usually dont pull readings untill every thing mellows out for fear of contamination and less beer for drinkin:mug:

Back