Is my yeast alive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleBilly88

Reaction score
Ok. After many years off, my nephew talked me into getting back into brewing. I decided a nice dry cider was the easiest thing to get back in the game. Two 1 gal. batches, one Muntons ale yeast, the other Red Star Champagne yeast. Both got 1 cup sugar, and that was it. Airlocks bubbling away within 12 hours. 2 weeks then racked into clean carboys.
Since we were using plain store brand apple juice I thought we might get a little more flavor adding concentrate. Added 1/2 can to each 1 gal. 24 hours latter not a single yeast fart to be seen. I am awaiting the delivery of my hydrometer so I cant give you readings. This was just going to be a quick batch while I ordered some needed supplies. I know it is just secondary but with the concentrate I figured the yeasties would perk back up. Have they died? Will I need to pitch a little more at bottling. Or should I just let age and enjoy a nice still cider for my first attempt?

They are fewer in numbers, but not dead. Give it more time, a lot of yeast were left behind when you racked.

If the concentrates contain preservatives, then they will render your cider unfermentable.

Also, I once managed to stop fermentation within 8 hours in a gallon jug simply by moving it to a slightly warmer room (20 -> 23 C, Kitzingers Reinhefe Champagner yeast). I am still not entirely sure what caused it because 23 C is still within range, but it had been going for 5 days anyway so I cold crashed it and we got drunk as two skunks! Tasted fantastic.

Just put the jugs in the fridge for a day or two and then empty them into your glasses. I'm sure it will be fine, probably about 9% ABV and relatively sweet.

I forgot to mention that it was no additives or preservatives in the concentrate. I even double checked the trash just now. It tastes good but still a bit yeasty, and it tastes pretty strong. I'm fine with still but the whole point was to teach nephew how to bottle carb.

Back