Is my starter good to put in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a 2L starter on wlp007 for a british strong ale wednesday night, I guess the yeast pack was still a little cold and tired since it was a little slow to start, but yesterday it was fermenting and formed a thick nice krausen when I swirled it, today a yeast cake was forming at the bottom but I still had some foam forming and that typical fermentation fragrance when swirling it. I am planning on giving it a last swirl around lunch and then put in the fridge this afternoon, or should I wait longer? I will brew on sunday, but I guess keeping it in the fridge for ~40 hrs is no problem? A bit noobish but this is only my second attempt at a liquid yeast starter after my first that I accidentally froze...

Yes, when it's finished, put it in the fridge. On brew day, carefully decant most of the clear liquid and pitch the yeast and (unavoidable) remaining liquid into the main batch's wort. 40 hours in the fridge is not a problem.

But since you started this on Wednesday night...are you using a stir plate? If not, it may not be finished today. If it continues to make CO2, and thus there's still a lot of foam when you swirl, it's not done. I would swirl it every hour or even more often. It's the "new" CO2 you want to detect (or not).

Yes, when it's finished, put it in the fridge. On brew day, carefully decant most of the clear liquid and pitch the yeast and (unavoidable) remaining liquid into the main batch's wort. 40 hours in the fridge is not a problem.

But since you started this on Wednesday night...are you using a stir plate? If not, it may not be finished today. If it continues to make CO2, and thus there's still a lot of foam when you swirl, it's not done. I would swirl it every hour or even more often. It's the "new" CO2 you want to detect (or not).
I put it in the fridge about an hour a go ,I'm not using a stir plate, it created a little foam the last time I swirled it but not much. I figured a mostly done fermentation won't create any more yeast cells than there already are so might aswell start cold crashing it.

Back