Is my IPA stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGrumpy

Reaction score
I've gone through other posts around stuck fermentation, but I was hoping if I posted my recipe here someone could give some insight. This is my 3rd batch (first was a kit that was drinkable enough, second was same kit but undrinkable - I know a number of things I did wrong there). This batch is my first home recipe.

All Grain
Batch Size: 1G
Mash:
2.25 lb American 2 Row
.25 lb crystal 20L
.16 lb carapils
hops at various places, obviously

OG was 1.065 (via refractometer)
fermented with about 75% a pack of wyeast 1056 - pitched at about 70-75 degrees

its been in primary for 2 weeks. I've tried to keep the temp in the mid to high 60's, but it may have crept over 70 a few times due to general room temp.

I measured gravity one week ago and it was just above 1.03 - measured yesterday and today and its still around the same spot.

A few questions:
1. is it possible that I pitched too much yeast and it fermented a ton right away and is now done? is that even a thing?
2. what would be the typical path of gravity? is it a quick move down followed by a more gradual decline?
3. is there any harm to leaving it in the fermentor for another week or two?
4. Is it possible that an IPA is done at 1.03? from what I've seen that is very high.

Let me know if any other info would help. I tried to keep pretty detailed notes and I'm pretty new to this so I'm not quite sure what are the most relevant facts to the fermenting stage.

I guess the obvious question is how are you measuring SG. Once the brew is fermenting, a refrectometer won't give accurate readings. You either need to use a hydrometer or a corrected refrac reading.

1. Pitching too much yeast should not make it stall early. But, could lead to some off flavors.
2. The gravity will fall fast in the beginning then taper off. You should not be measuring this since it is in the first couple of days.
3. There is no harm in leaving it. Many go as long as a month or more in primary then bottle as their normal course. I usually go about 3 weeks.
4. 1.030 is quite high. Did you use the refractometer? If so did you correct for the presence of alcohol. I would run it through a few online calculators and average them. There are inaccuracies in correcting the refractometer readings.

What temperature did you use for the mash? And is your thermometer calibrated. Too high a temperature will give you a lot of unfermentable sugars. If the thermometer reads low you could have mashed a lot hotter than intended.

Try swirling carefully and raise the temperature a little to see if the fermentation restarts.

The mash was in the mid 150s. My thermometer(s) are a thermapen and a barbecuing digi (they match and are accurate). BUT, when I did a batch sparge, I think I misunderstood and let about 170 degree water maybe filter through too slowly in the tun. Could that have resulted in too much sugar as well?

as far as the refractometer goes, I have the BREWfractometer Wort Specific Gravity ATC Refractometer (I like to buy hobby gear). My understanding was that this would not need any adjustments once calibrated. It gives gravity readings (not just bris readings). Is there something I'm not understanding?

Once you've pitched the yeast you need to be checking with a hydrometer. That's what I'd do first. Alcohol skews refractometers. Two weeks is plenty of time for 1056 to eat through wort. If the hydro gives you ~ 1.030, then pitch a packet of us-05 and see if it comes back to life.
Did you aerate this batch?

Edited to add that beersmith's refractometer conversion for fermenting wort puts you around 1.011 or 7.1%. Still best to check with a hydrometer

Welcome to HBT btw!

ok, thanks. I actually went with the refractometer because I found in my first batches that uses a hydrometer is kind of a pain when you're only brewing 1 gallon. Is the hydrometer really that much superior to a refractometer?

Just to confirm I'm using the beer smith tool correctly - I chose 'Fermenting Wort Gravity' - entered 8 as the BRIX reading I'm getting now, 1.065 as the OG. This gives the corrected gravity of 1.011/7.1%ABV you mentioned above, right? Would I get a better reading via a hydrometer? Given beer smith estimating a 1.019 FG, I seem to have gone past that. What does that mean?

the answers are really appreciated btw.

I use a refractometer on brew day and use a hydro anytime after my yeast is pitched. The hydrometer is far superior after the wort is fermenting.
You will get a more accurate reading with a hydro.
If you went under your projected final gravity, your yeast were likely good and healthy. I don't see any problem there. 1.019 is a high finish for an ipa anyway

Back