Is my IPA done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
So I brewed a Brewers Best IPA kit about a week and a half ago. The Original Gravity was 1.054. It did its thing, was bubbling. Took another reading on this past sunday gravity was down to 1.018. There was no activity in the airlock. At all. I thought it was done, so i was waiting for room in my carboys to move it to secondary. Well last night around 2:30 am, it started bubbling like crazy. I checked it this morning and there was another layer of krausen. The gravity was down to 1.014. Is this just the yeast waking back up, for a snack? Ive never had this happen before. Any input?

So it kicked in again while still in primary? I have never had that happen either, but if it's at 1.014, it's done and can be moved to secondary.

im not an expert on the science of brewing, but I'd guess that rather than assume the yeast got back going again, it could have just been a bunch of co2 finally making its way up and out of the airlock?

I just bottled a stout that did this - kicked into a "second" fermemtation, complete w/new krausen, after activity had subsided for a week. You never know. I'd say if you see visible signs of fermentation, wait a few days and check the gravity again.

is it ok to move to secondary. I was planning on bulk aging it in secondary for a month or so.

Secondary is best after it has stopped bubbling(usually)and after it has hit a stable FG.

Not to be an alarmist, but the one beer infection I have had was "Gusheritis".

That batch never stopped bubbling. It bottle carbed in about 48 hours.

Check it in a few days (like has been said) what was the expected FG? If it is below that and falling that is bad. If the yeast did just wake up due to temp changes or some other factor, let them finish. Secondary is not actually where any fermentation should happen. It is a mis-nomer.

Good Luck!

Thanks. Ill keep checking it. The FG was to be around 1.012-1.015. Right now its at 1.014. Hopefully it will be ok. It tastes really good right now!!!

Hola,
I have this IPA recipe that I just made this past sunday. The yeast I used is a smack pack from Wyeast, strain 1968 that is a London ESB. The smack pack got off to a roaring start, cooled the wort down to 66 F (SG=1.050), transferred the yeast, sealed the Ale Pale and waited...and waited...and waited...still no sign from the airlock of the fermentation. :drunk: Eventually, I pushed on the top of the bucket and could smell the sweet smell of the fermentation! :rockin: However, NO visible sign of the fermentation. Could be the bucket isn't sealed, but I'm hoping for the best. I'll let ya know how the beast turns out in two weeks.

Secondary is best after it has stopped bubbling(usually)and after it has hit a stable FG.

Not to be an alarmist, but the one beer infection I have had was "Gusheritis".

That batch never stopped bubbling. It bottle carbed in about 48 hours.

Check it in a few days (like has been said) what was the expected FG? If it is below that and falling that is bad. If the yeast did just wake up due to temp changes or some other factor, let them finish. Secondary is not actually where any fermentation should happen. It is a mis-nomer.

Good Luck!

HA! does Gusheritis refer to the "exit" properties of the beer after drinking it?

Back