Is my fermentation stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipster27

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had a stuck fermentation, most start in the 1.050 range and stop around 1.015 or so. This one is a week old, started at 1.052 and a week later is sitting at 1.026. Unfortunately we were gone for 3 days over the holiday weekend and when we returned the fermenter was in the low 60s. I've brought the temps back up to high 60s and stirred the wort to mix up the yeast but nothing seems to be happening.
Here are the particulars:
6.5 gallon batch
OG Brix 13.25 SG 1.052
1 week later: Brix 9.0 SG 1.026 (Refractometer corrected)
Yeast White Labs Irish Ale WLP004
The current SG seems awfully high. I did get a nice krausen with action the first 1-2 days. It was started with a 900 ML starter which had a OG of 1.040.

What do you guys think?

Sounds stuck. That's only 50% attenuation. I'd give it some more time before doing anything drastic.

Sounds like it. Try this, you say the wort is in the high 60's, run some off, about a cup, and reconstitute a packet of Fermentis s-04 or Nottingham the wort. Use two bowls that will fit into each other and create a hot water bath for the bowl that contains the wort. Stabalize the temperature at ~80 degrees and reconstitute for 30 minutes.

Allow it to cool to wort temperature and pitch. Don't aerate, just replace the airlock and let it go.

Latest posts

Back