Is my beer sick??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldtagtrip

Reaction score
I brew a red ale a while ago and the beer has a funky flavour very similar to a saison or wheat beer but i have used wyeast 1056. the recipe, which i found here at the forum is.the overall flavours are very fruity, a litle sour and very malty.

8 lb 2 - row pale malt
0.5 carafoam
1 lb caraaroma
1lb crystal 60
0.5 lb melanoiden
1lb honey
1oz mt hood 60 min
1oz cacade 30min
0.5oz tetnang 15min.
wyeast 1056 1 liter starter.
OG: 1040
FG: 1004.
My fermentation temp i quite high since i dont have control of the temperature in my apartment.
How do i know if my beer is infected? what tastes should i pick up in a infected beer? thank you very much, i hope ome one can help me.

What temp did you mash at? Your FG is a little low. Look up infected beer on here and there are plenty of photos. How it's OK.

You can pick up off flavors by fermenting too hot. What was the temp of your fermentation?

and yea, that fg is low... what did you mash at? It wouldn't really cause the flavors you're reporting but it would make a thinner perhaps more boozy beer. Esp with the pound of honey in there. Maybe mash a little higher next time and let the honey dry it out.

i mashed at 151, it tastes very likely a belgiun beer, very fruty. i dont have a acurate measure of the fermentation temp, but whenever i measured it was at about 72.

Back