Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grond

Reaction score
First time brewing beer…and I’m kinda freaking out. The white areas in the krausen is where it’s bubbling through “cracks” in the krausen itself. It’s not “fuzzy” or round spots as I would think a pellicle infection would look like.

Am I overreacting?

Sorry for the poor photo quality…
9B0BA55F-1F76-46CE-AC01-63C03F873274.jpeg

It doesn't look infected to me.

Infected beers are seldom poisonous. Or so I've been led to believe from things I've read. At the worst, it might just taste bad. Or you might have a great sour brew. So just wait, be patient, don't worry. Bottle or keg when it's time and then sample it when that time comes.

IS MY BEER INFECTED?

Yes it means Relax Don't Worry Have a Home Brew,
Might be a quote from an early homebrew book or zymurgy article.
Agreed the untranslated acronym is a pain, I asked about one the other week and was told everyone new it was yyy, not everywhere is USA ( country)

Looks good to me, what’s the recipe here?

5.5Gal Batch (I scaled this down from my normal 7 gal batch size)
4lb 8oz. Breiss 2-Row
2lb Vienna
1lb "Argo" corn starch or flaked corn
4oz belgian caravienne 22L

.25oz magnum@ 60min. 12.1 AAU
.35 oz Saaz @ 15 min 3.9 AAU

Yeast: 2 pkg W-34/70 dry lager fermented @ 56F until airlock acvtivity slows or gravity is ~ 1.020 let temp rise to 68F for diacetyl rest for 48hrs. When gravity is stable or beer drops clear rack to secondary 14 days at 32F.

Recipe looks solid, should be a tasty one! Recently brewed a rice lager using a starter of W-34/70 and the krausen looked a bit funky as well but it’ll fall eventually.

Recipe looks solid, should be a tasty one! Recently brewed a rice lager using a starter of W-34/70 and the krausen looked a bit funky as well but it’ll fall eventually.
The krausen has fallen!!!

Raising temp over the next few days for diacetyl release, then racking off to sit at 32 for 14 days! So excited!!

When new homebrewers see a healthy krausen for the first time, it CAN look pretty disgusting and scary. 6 years into this and my husband still thinks krausen looks gross. To me it is a thing of beauty. I've been tempted to show him pics of what some cheeses look like before they make them suitable for packaging and consumption, but I don't want to clean up the mess. Keep that excitement! It only gets better from here.

Back