Is my beer infected? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Maris Otter/Mosaic smash yesterday with US-05 and since this morning, I noticed these strange bubbles forming on the surface that kinda look like pellicles. I've never encountered this with US-05 before and am starting to wonder if I have an infection. Or is it just CO2 bubbles? help

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77
Why are you opening the fermenter a day after brewing? Could be a pellicle but might not be- I say let it go until fermentation has finished then check.

Why are you opening the fermenter a day after brewing? Could be a pellicle but might not be- I say let it go until fermentation has finished then check.
Cos I saw these strange big bubbles forming on the surface and got worried so I opened to check...fingers crossed its nothing sigh

How would you know what was forming if it's in a bucket with lid closed? I assume you are a new brewer. It's hard to resist opening to see what's going on. When you open the lid always a chance for something to get in and lets oxygen in- the oxygen part is bad but as long as fermentation is happening the yeast should consume any O2. I would not open the lid for at least another week unless you have to add in dry hops.
Anyway, good luck.

EDIT: never mind- looks like a translucent bucket you can somewhat see through??

Yep... that is certainly an infection. Let it run its course and after fermentation, taste it. If it taste ok, let it sit another few weeks to see if it goes even lower. If it still taste good at a stable final gravity. Bottle it

Big bubbles are not a sign of infection. At least, not that I've ever heard of. Anyway, let it ferment out (if it will) and then, look for any spores on top. If nothing can be seen on it, smell it. If, it smells good, taste it. If, it passes the eye, nose and tounge test, keg it up and drink it!

On the lighter side:
Don't ever add worry to your beer. Care is a fine ingredient but worry, always makes beer taste terrible!

|

Having never had an evidently infected beer, I have to ask: is it even possible for a pellicle to form within 24 hours?

fwiw, if the FO/WP hopping was heavy then what I'm seeing is a lot of hop oil on the surface, which along with the MO might explain the bubbles.
I would continue believing this batch is OK unless something more obvious appears...

Cheers!

Having never had an evidently infected beer, I have to ask: is it even possible for a pellicle to form within 24 hours?

fwiw, if the FO/WP hopping was heavy then what I'm seeing is a lot of hop oil on the surface, which along with the MO might explain the bubbles.
I would continue believing this batch is OK unless something more obvious appears...

Cheers!

YEP!

Latest posts

Back