Is my beer fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revdemo

Reaction score
I started brewing my first beer about 5 days ago. I am using a 5 gallon bucket system with a 3 piece airlock. After adding the yeast it bubbled like crazy the 2 days and now its not really bubbling at all. I checked my seal and everything is tight. When I press on the lid it will force bubbles through. I forgot to take a sample at the beginning so I don't have anything to compare the gravity to. Any advice or help is apreciated .

Airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation. It is fine just let it ride, I promise its fermenting. Cheers and goodluck

If you get rapid bubbling for 1-5 days & it slows down or stops,that just means initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Then 3-7 days for it to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty.

That's what I thought but most videos and things seem to focus on the airlock so I was worried

Always trust your hydrometer to let you know OG,when it reaches a stable FG. It's the only real way to know for sure.:mug:

That's what I thought but most videos and things seem to focus on the airlock so I was worried

Not to worry.

I've got a batch right now that's a week along (Northern English Brown, 1.052, rehydrated Windsor pitched @65*F, ferment at 67*F). It bubbled like crazy 12-48 hours into it and then slowed to nada. I figure that the Windsor is living up to Danstar's description of "quick start to fermentation which can be completed in 3 days above 17C." I'll let it go at least another week, probably two, depending on the FG readings and my brew schedule (since I'd like to toss a new batch of ESB atop that yeast cake).

Not knowing your OG isn't the end of the world. As long as you have a stable FG you'll know your beer is finished fermenting. Give it 2 weeks minimum before transferring to secondary or bottling. Even if you are at a stable FG you need to let the yeast finish their work in primary before asking them to start something new in carbonating. :p

I got a Kolsch fermenting now. Had to use a blow off tube for the first 2 days, then it slowed. It's all good. No need to worry. Never use an airlock as a guide. (its just a vent)
Happy brewing

Can you imagine a video that focused on taking a hydrometer reading and then a second reading 3 days later? Pretty boring I'd say. The airlock is only a vent for excess gas but at least it does something in a video.

Many of the online videos get things wrong. Some of the people making them need to do some research. Even TV shows do this. I don't know how many people ask me questions based on what they saw on Moonshiners and since it was on TV you often can't tell them different.

I'm still amazed at the episode there they said the grain was ground really fine so it can act as its own yeast.

Many of the online videos get things wrong. Some of the people making them need to do some research. Even TV shows do this. I don't know how many people ask me questions based on what they saw on Moonshiners and since it was on TV you often can't tell them different.

I'm still amazed at the episode there they said the grain was ground really fine so it can act as its own yeast.

It's also scary that they don't show the moonshiners decanting the beginning of the run that is not drinkable. They make it look like they taste the shine as soon as it comes out of the worm. I'm waiting for the news headline.

Back