Is My Baby Going to Live?!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daburke

Reaction score
So i just brewed a batch of american red ale. I used 2 different types of hops and a grain/ malt combo. My fermentation seems to have stopped! It was bubbling moderately for the first day, maybe 2. Now it seems to be dormant. What are my options here? The temp is a solid 62-63 degrees F. All comments/ suggestions greatly appreciated!!:rockin:

daburke said:
So i just brewed a batch of american red ale. I used 2 different types of hops and a grain/ malt combo. My fermentation seems to have stopped! It was bubbling moderately for the first day, maybe 2. Now it seems to be dormant. What are my options here? The temp is a solid 62-63 degrees F. All comments/ suggestions greatly appreciated!!:rockin:

Warm it up. You are at the low end of the ideal temp range for ale yeast. If you can warm it up about 5 degrees and rouse the yeats a bit, it should take off again (if it's not already done.)

-walker

It's probably just about done. Let it sit for at least a couple more days and take a gravity reading. If you don't have a hydrometer, let it sit for another 5 days and move it to the secondary. If you're not going to use a secondary, let it sit for a couple weeks and bottle it.

Sorry, it's dead. Package it up to me and send immediately and I"ll dispose of it properly. ;)

No, it's fine. It' will ferment like crazy for a while and then settle down. Wait a week and then rack it to secondary. If you're not doing a secondary (you didn't say), then keep it in the primary a while longer- maybe 2 weeks total. But don't worry- the beer knows what to do. But try to keep it at a steady temp- say, 69 degrees or so.

RDWHAHB.

Lorena

Good news... i moved it away from a near window and put a blanket and down vest on. Now its bubbling consistenly. This stuff really acts like a newborn baby...

:rockin: :mug:

Latest posts

Back