Is lacto souring supposed to smell like funky cheese?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2brew

Reaction score
I soured my wort pre boil with WLP 677 for 2.5 days before boiling for 90 minutes. My garage still stinks like funky cheese. Also, I just opened up fermenter and I get a funky cheese smell. What smells should I get from the lacto souring? Just wondering if funky cheese smell is what I was shooting for?

Ok, just read Milk the Funk Wiki. ......." It is recommended to fill the head space of the kettle with CO2 because oxygen can encourage off flavors such as rancid cheese from Butyric Acid and/or Isovaleric Acid".....just wondering if I should try and clean the brew up with Brett or if it's time to pitch the batch and start again?

Ok, just read Milk the Funk Wiki. ......." It is recommended to fill the head space of the kettle with CO2 because oxygen can encourage off flavors such as rancid cheese from Butyric Acid and/or Isovaleric Acid".....just wondering if I should try and clean the brew up with Brett or if it's time to pitch the batch and start again?
Brett might work, but it takes a long time in my experience. It's kind of a battle to the death between the "bugs" and Brett is the last man standing.

You know those Bretts, they just don't know when to retire :D

Go Packers!

dump it and try again.

I transfer wort to a co2 flushed carboy, and add airlock for lacto ferment. ive tried it in the kettle and even with flushing i got some nastiness.

I do my sour mashes with no CO2 whatsoever. I cover with saran wrap, and I drop the pH to 4.5 with acid first. The aroma still gets funky but the wort coming out is fine.

I've only done one sour mash. I used plastic wrap to cover. I did not purge the headspace (which was half the height of the 5 gallon cooler). I inoculated with a yogurt with lacto bulgericus in it. It successfully produced a clean lactic sour.

I've only done sour worts with lacto pitches since then though.

Back