Is it wrong of me to protest on the simple fact of not being invited?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bobby that was my first reaction I just wasnt sure if I was stepping down to his level. Although I do like the dipping my nuts in the kegs idea.

I vote "No Invite, No Beer", but the idea of giving him ten gallons of teabag pale ale is kind of funny too.

Whether he's aware of the effort that goes into homebrewing or not, he's asking you to give him beer that's worth (if he had to buy it) a couple hundred bucks in exchange for spending maybe fifty or sixty bucks on ingredients. He's asking you for that, but he can't extend an invitation to you and a guest? He's still going to make money on the deal!

I stand by my first post, total ******, and even if an invite were to be subsequently forthcoming, he'll still be a ****** and always be a ******.

totally agree with the_bird. the audacity of this guy is something else. is he a lover of your homebrew or just trying to score some cheap pints? either way - it should not be allowed to happen!

I'm going to reconsider based on the fact of how much work and anticipation we put into each batch. Every batch to me is a big deal. I don't have time or equipment to just pump out batch after batch; money is not the thing that limits my production. To get me to part with several full batches would take more money than most anyone would be willing to pay. In short, my beer is worth way more to me than it is to anyone else.

So I have a coworker who wants me to brew some beer for his wedding.

However I am not invited to it.

Is it wrong of me to protest and not brew beer for him on the simple fact of not being invited?
I only read your post not any of the ones that followed...No invite, no beer. Period.

Even if he had invited you the next day I would turn him down...

Not doing it because you weren't invited, yet other coworkers were, isn't even close to being a ****** move.

Dont get me wrong. I am not saying that the dude is not a dick too. I fully agree that asking someone to do a favor and not invite them is a dick move. But I also think not doing something becuase you weren't invited is stupid too. Sounds very much like "taking my ball and going home".

I just don't understand how it is not worth your time if you aren't invited, but it is if you are. If this guy is such a chode, why are you going to a)go to his wedding anyway and b) spend several weeks preparing beer for it?

And if he is not such a dick, and you do get along with him, what is a couple of batches of beer if he pays for the ingredients?

Like I said, if you dont want to do it because of time restraints/financial restraints/just plain dont like the guy/whatever, I have no problem with that. However, to not do it because you weren't invited sounds crybaby to me. What if you told the guy this? What if you said "nah man, I' m not going to do that since I am not invited." Then he says "but you are invited". Then what? Then now it is okay to brew for the wedding?

Like I said, I don't get it. Sure, the dude is a polesmoker for asking favors from non-invited guests, but I don't see why it would be less of a problem if you were invited.

These posts have been about a lot of balls today.

I dont have the time or want to make time. I was thinking about trying to fit it in to be nice however once he mentioned I'm not invited (YES HE TOLD ME THIS), I realized why should I put myself out to make him happy when its not really apprecieated.

Even if I was invited to a wedding of an aquaintance and he asked me to brew a crapload for the event, I'd question if the invite was sincere or to preserve the cheap brew. It's a no win situation to brew for anyone unless you're making a serious run at commercial brewing. Ingredients are only half the cost of brewing and what if people got sick at the event. Although we all know it is unlikely that beer would do that, they'll go after anyone that supplied consumables. Cover your a$$.

If it were me, I may fill a sanke keg (his empty, not mine) for him for the cost of ingredients plus my time, but there's no way I'm letting hundreds of dollars worth of equipment just be borrowed without my presence. Is he going to offer to replace the broken regulator when some drunk knocks it over and busts it? How about if your jockey box "disappears" after the wedding? People get like that when they think they can get away with it. I would take EdWort's beer trailer theft as a very good excuse NOT to lend out your equipment.

Well, based on the fact that he flat out told you that you weren't invited yet he still wants you to brew beer for his wedding and supply all the equipment, I'd tell him to feck off.
1128.gif

I would take EdWort's beer trailer theft as a very good excuse NOT to lend out your equipment.

Yep, I learned it the hard way, but it worked out after all.

My new rule is

"I arrive with my equipment, and it it leaves with me when I do".

I'm still surprised at the unmitigated gall of this DB to ask you for such a personal thing without inviting you when co-workers around you are going.

(shakes head, muttering)

Until i try and make a run at going commercial. I will not brew beer for people who are not my family or friends. I thought this guy was a friend he proved hes not.

Hence no brewing going on or beer for him to test/taste in the future. He can wait till im commercial and he can buy it in the effin store.

Thanks guys for all the feedback I really apprecieate i:mug::mug:t.

Until i try and make a run at going commercial. I will not brew beer for people who are not my family or friends. I thought this guy was a friend he proved hes not.

Hence no brewing going on or beer for him to test/taste in the future. He can wait till im commercial and he can buy it in the effin store.

Good for you man. Sounds like this guy was a prick. I don't know where this guy got the gumption to ask such a thing, but it infuriates me just to read about it! Sounds like it's time to crash a wedding!

Here is my idea...
Tell him you will brew for him for the cost of the ingredients...plus as a favor you will come a serve...but you cannot leave your setup. just explain that you have known to many people whom have had bad experiences...remember you may sometime need a favor... you dont know everyone at the reception anyway so its not a big deal not getting to socialize with everyone....plus you will get to drink some of your own beer while serving...plus the safety factor, you can cut off a guest if the have had what you feel as to much. Plus you will get lots of awesome feedback on your beer....they will have to take you out the receiving door becuase your head will be so big!!!!!

just my opion...and you know what the say about opions....:mug:
friar john
Peace and love of beer!!!!

Glad we could help you through the soul searching process :D

As I was reading this, I kept thinking that maybe your invite was lost/miscommunicated, because this guy couldn't possibly be that big and bold of a dink. But if he specifically said you are not invited (while other co-workers are!!) he is Lord *****icus, the *****emaster of Lower *****ia. I'd invite him to eat a big fat hairy bag of dicks.

Wow, the balls on this prick... I would nicely tell him "don't have the time" and drop it. Now you know what kind of a person you're working with, and that's always a good thing to know.

"Ya, Sure! I'll even do it for free!"

Day of wedding.... "Oh ya, I totally forgot. Sorry. CONGRATS!!"

Could be that the invite list was set long before your perceived a friendship.
Could be his SWMBO is the one who has the last say on guests.
Could be that he'd like to invite you but feels awkward not having known you that long.

Or...it could be that he's a tool. That's my guess.

I'd just tell him flat out "...dude, it is in very poor taste to ask me to labor for your wedding and not have the decency to extend an invitation...what kind of backwoods, inbred, socially void environment did you grow up in...oh, an by the way, your guests are going to miss out on a very memorable beer tasting experience...but hey...enjoy the Coors light?"

Then I'd give him a cockpunch just to get the point accross.

I'm not invited (YES HE TOLD ME THIS)

How the hell does this conversation go? Transcript please?

I'm leaning towards kicking his balls 'till he needs surgery.

not actually condoning kicking anybody's balls for real unless they are one of those people who enjoys it, in which case don't do it for this guy anyway.

I wouldn't rule it out yet. Tell him you'll do it if he pays for the supplies PLUS you will take the soon to be married couple out for a romantic dinner and a wild night out on the town your treat. The only thing is he's not invited.

*****ie to the exteme.

These posts have been about a lot of balls today.

I dont have the time or want to make time. I was thinking about trying to fit it in to be nice however once he mentioned I'm not invited (YES HE TOLD ME THIS), I realized why should I put myself out to make him happy when its not really apprecieated.

It's done. No beer for this guy. No beer ever.

Late to the party, but:

1) *****ness scale is off the charts. Wow.

2) No beer. No beer no way.

3) No need to hang with this guy no more. No indeedy.

Late to the party, but:

1) *****ness scale is off the charts. Wow.

2) No beer. No beer no way.

3) No need to hang with this guy no more. No indeedy.

You're not even going to make some kind of reference to a violent act directed at his genitalia?! Might as well not even come to the party then.

Awww...cut the guy a break. We all know engineers don't win any social skills awards.

(Wait...is El Hubbo reading this forum?...oh, crap. :p )

In all seriousness, I hate weddings and would be perfectly happy to not have an invitation and also perfectly happy to drink my own beer to my heart's content.

If you need an excuse just politely tell him that sometimes batches don't turn out. As an engineer, there's no way he'd take a chance on not having beer at the event. Smile, wish him the best of luck in his new life and when he's least expecting it you drop to your needs and apply a forceful uppercut directly to the crotchital region, severely compacting the cock within. Calmly walk away. Whistling a happy tune is a nice touch.

You're not even going to make some kind of reference to a violent act directed at his genitalia?! Might as well not even come to the party then.

Ha...that is hilarious. I now have a picture of a carnival barker yelling, "Step right up and get your chance to punch *****emallow right in the johnson! Come one and come all, free kick to jackass co-worker's nuts."

Let him piss up a rope.

Your equipment,

Your time and energy,

Your brewing skill,

All for the cost of supplies, I think thats asking alot.

As for not being invited, lucky you !!!

Let me put it this way....
If I was getting hitched and I asked (or even if someone offered) to brew several batches of beer and lend dispensing equipment for the wedding, then that person was somehow left off the invite list, I would be incredibly emberassed.

On the other side, I wouldn't do it just because I had no idea what would happen to my equipment. Also, my time is worth something so brewing costs more than just supplies. So he IS asking for a mjor gift.

You know, I've noticed a trend lately. Whenever the discussion of *****ebaggery comes up, the percentage of posters suggesting genital mutilation approaches 100%.

I approve this trend!

First of all, remember the immortal words of Ben Franklin when commenting about the first continental congress, "They are not your friends, they're people you work with, they will screw you first chance they get."

Tell the dude this is what you usually charge for an award winning home craft brew. Make it high, then add 10 percent more to the figure. Now tell him that since he is a good friend, you are going to take 10% off. Ask him how much he needs ....get the money up front.

PS, if he goes for it, IM me and I'll tell you how to make an infection in it.

Back