Is it too late to aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soup_nazi

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of IIPA and saturday and didn't aerate the wort before pitch because I was tired and maybe a little buzzed. The wort did pour form the spout down into the bucket, so there was some aeration. The starting O.G. was 1.084. Should I open it back up and stir it up? Should I repitch?

Ok thanks, I was a little worried. When is it ok to crack open some cold ones during the brewing process? I started right away and it took me about 6 two hearteds until I finished brewing.

Ok thanks, I was a little worried. When is it ok to crack open some cold ones during the brewing process? I started right away and it took me about 6 two hearteds until I finished brewing.

Ha! To beat the Memphis heat, I have started mashing in before 8 am, and I'd say that was too early to crack a cold one. Maybe at least wait for the boil to get going (for me, that was about 10 am this past weekend)? Or drink something smaller?

Haha, drinking while brewing is the best/worst idea ever. I hate getting a little buzzed and then doing EVERYTHING in panic mode. Not necessarily doing everything too quickly, but just being unsure of what you're doing because you're not concentrating.

I normally brew with other people around but recently I had to go solo, so I decided not to pound the beers like usual... I drank 4 beers from mash-in to clean up (about 6 hours) and I gotta say, it was a much smoother experience. I made a conscious decision not to drink as much during brewing for future sessions.

Or if you're like me and once you get sipping, there's no stopping, you should just set a time when you're "allowed" to have your first beer.

Session beers solve that problem. Brew up a nice low ABV beer and make it your brewing beer.

Assuming you start drinking while prepping your equipment, here is the drinking while brewing, ABV curve.

4% beers will ensure that you make it through to the end

5% beers will make you miss your pitching temp

6% beers will make you a drowned rat during chilling

7% beers will make you forget a hop addition

8% beers will cause vorlauf issues

9% beers will put your ability to light the burner in doubt

10%+ STOP! DO NOT BREW! YOU SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING WITH FIRE!

Back