Is it too early to be thinking about '12 hop rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaz4121

Reaction score
I really wanted to plant hops rhizomes THIS year, but after graduating from college, moving back home, and starting a new job, I decided to wait until 2012.

My question is what would YOU recommend I plant for rhizomes? I want to start with 3 varieties, and I am leaning toward Cascade and Hallertau as 2 of those 3. Looking around I've heard great things about Magnum, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial, etc. I live in Western, Ma if that helps.

Oh and please tell me WHY you would recommend that hop (clean bittering, huge harvest, great hearty strain, relatively low maintenance, etc.)

Thanks!

I grow cascade, centennial and columbus. The columbus is by far my favorite plant. Robust as all get out and puts out a hefty harvest. It's kind of harsh for bittering but makes a great aroma/finishing hop and especially nice for dry hopping. Also, the cones are huge and much less hassle to harvest than say cascade (which also has a hefty harvest but many many more smaller cones). The centennial doesn't do so well for me. I've been getting a little less than 1 lb per year out of it. I cut some rhizomes and planted a couple more centennials to compensate for the smaller yield.

I'm a bit east of you, and pretty much a noob at the hop growing thing, but my first year Chinook, Centennial and Cascade did pretty well and I'm fairly pleased with how things have gone. I was able to put the better part of a pound of dried hops in the freezer, picked just before Irene rolled in.

I went with that combination for the Chinook and Centennial utility for bittering and the Cascade for flavor and aroma - they're pretty much my go-to combination. I also was given some Fuggles rhizomes in late May and planted those in big pots, and the darned things are actually producing cones, but while I use Fuggles for Mild brews, that was totally unplanned (who can say "No thanks" to gifted rhizomes? ;)

I use Hallertau frequently and currently have a wheat beer on tap that used those hops. I have no idea if that strain is compatible with our latitude but it isn't a huge investment to try.

Maintenance was no biggie. I set up an automated drip irrigation system, and fertilized weekly, and let the bines do their thing. This year I had totally nuked the lawn grubs so I had virtually zero problems with Japanese Beetles, and had fewer than a half-dozen caterpillar beasties noshing on the bines, which I picked and squished, so the plants were pretty much unmolested. Never had a problem with wilts or fungus, which I attribute to the drip system.

All in all it was a fun experience, and once I've harvested the remaining cones, cut back the bines and bedded them down in the fall, I'll be looking forward to seeing them poke their way back up in the Spring...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. How many rhizomes of each did you plant? And what did you get for yield this year? I've been trying to do as much research as possible especially for growing in MA. I'd also like to know what to expect for yield in year 1.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. How many rhizomes of each did you plant? And what did you get for yield this year? I've been trying to do as much research as possible especially for growing in MA. I'd also like to know what to expect for yield in year 1.

Thanks

I planted four rhizomes for each of the three varieties. Pretty sad looking, skinny white rhizomes at that - at least compared to what my LHBS was selling - but they all sprouted at least one good bine each.

I did a rushed harvest two days before Irene roared through, picked about 2/3rds of the Cascade, 1/2 of the Chinook, and pretty much all of the Centennial, leaving the obviously not-ready cones on the bines. This is a shot of the "wet" weights...
ab_aug_26_2011_07_sm.jpg

...which when dried amounted to 6 ounces of Cascade, ~5 ounces of Chinook, and ~4 ounces of Centennial. I expect to get another ounce or two of Cascade and perhaps another 3-4 ounces of Chinook before the season is over. And maybe an ounce of Fuggles.

From what I had read on the subject before I even bought the rhizomes, first-year yields can vary from virtually zero to something beyond what I got, so my expectations were very low, and I was totally surprised by what I got. I think that's a healthy way to go into it - don't expect much of anything, and be happy if you get more :)

Cheers!

Wow those are some good looking hop cones, especially for first years. I have enough room to plant 6 mounds and originally I was thinking of doing just three varieties. But the more I read, the more I see Centennial and Chinook pop up as homegrown hops. I have only been brewing for a little over one year now and have never used either. I've read that Centennial is citrus like Cascade but less floral and that Chinook is "piney". Where do you see yourself using the Centennial vs Cascade and what is your impression on Chinook?

Wow those are some good looking hop cones, especially for first years. I have enough room to plant 6 mounds and originally I was thinking of doing just three varieties. But the more I read, the more I see Centennial and Chinook pop up as homegrown hops. I have only been brewing for a little over one year now and have never used either. I've read that Centennial is citrus like Cascade but less floral and that Chinook is "piney". Where do you see yourself using the Centennial vs Cascade and what is your impression on Chinook?

I use Chinook for bittering in a heck of a lot of different recipes - everything from Pales and IPAs through Porters and Stouts. It's definitely my go to bittering hop. I use Cascade for flavor and aroma in a lot of recipes, especially Pales, IPAs and Porters. Finally, Centennial has an AA in between the Chinook and Cascade, and thus is sort of an all-purpose strain for me. I'll use it for bittering, flavor and/or aroma in darned near any ale recipe, and it works nicely in wheat beers.

Obviously there's a common theme between these three: they're all considered "citrusy" to some degree, and the wife and I are big fans of that character.

So all that is why I went with those three strains. Historically I've used more of those hops than any other, so it made sense to try growing them myself. Fortunately, when researching before buying the rhizomes, I found that all three had a decent record of success in my area. So far, so good! :)

hth!

Cheers!

I would first and foremost always grow what you USE.

Having said that, I would look at the hop you want and then consider a hybrid because it probably produces a better yield. You mentioned Hallertau, I would consider Mt. Hood. My observation is the nobles and the older hops, don't produce as much as the hybrids. In fact, this is basically why the hybrids were created. Better yields.

Beyond that, all the hops you listed have done well for me. FOR ME, my Chinook is my queen bee, consistently producing 4/5 pounds WET of hops. Fortunately, I LOVE Chinook. If you didn't like it, that would be of no value to you.

Day Tripper posted a great picture and had great first year results. Ironically his wet ounces equaled my dry ounces of Chinook and Cascade. Once your plants are established, you'll be off the hop 'grid'.

I have centennial and thats it. Got my 1st because that was all my lhbs had left when i decided i wanted hops. Now I have 40 plants and LOVE my centennial I use it for bittering and aroma(have not dryhopped yet). Im up to 15lbs of harvest and still have the bines from 15 crowns left to harvest.

I would first and foremost always grow what you USE.

Having said that, I would look at the hop you want and then consider a hybrid because it probably produces a better yield. You mentioned Hallertau, I would consider Mt. Hood. My observation is the nobles and the older hops, don't produce as much as the hybrids. In fact, this is basically why the hybrids were created. Better yields.

Beyond that, all the hops you listed have done well for me. FOR ME, my Chinook is my queen bee, consistently producing 4/5 pounds WET of hops. Fortunately, I LOVE Chinook. If you didn't like it, that would be of no value to you.

Day Tripper posted a great picture and had great first year results. Ironically his wet ounces equaled my dry ounces of Chinook and Cascade. Once your plants are established, you'll be off the hop 'grid'.

You make a good point. I read that the noble hops don't grow as well in the US as in Germany, and take a few years to have any sort of successful yield. I didn't even consider Mt. Hood until you recommended it, and I will most definitely be planting Mt. Hood instead of Hallertau.

In addition to Mt. Hood (2 large rhizomes), Cascade (2 large rhizomes), I'm trying to determine between Chinook (1 rhizome), Columbus (1 rhizome), Centennial (1 rhizome), and Magnum (1 rhizome). I can probably plant 3 of those 4, but I'm not sure which to go with. I'm leaning toward Centennial, Magnum and Chinook, especially since I'll be growing 2 of the 3Cs already. What do you guys think? Would planting 5 different varieties be a bad idea? Should I focus on two or three instead?

[...]What do you guys think? Would planting 5 different varieties be a bad idea? Should I focus on two or three instead?

A couple of down sides to planting a lot of "one ofs" is if a plant starts exhibiting "issues" you don't have another plant to compare it against, and then if you lose that one plant you're down one variety.

So I would plant pairs or more just for that reason, and I'd focus on what I use the most that is compatible with where I live...

Cheers!

Of the plants listed, for me chinook is the best producer. I planted as many different types as possible but the plan was to learn what I like and remove the issue plants as I figured out what that meant. All my nobles are on the chopping block. They will either be moved, sold, or burned. I plan to double up on my personal favorite. So that's what worked for me, does that help?

First year grower here. I've found that the higher alpha % varieties did WAY better than the "aroma" varieties. Much more vigorous, no bug problems, no mildew problems.

Zeus and Chinook were my 2 high alpha varieties. They're both around 20' tall, and weekly I have to take their sidearms and train them onto the leader.

I had 2 willamette's die on me (rot in the ground). From 2 different vendors, 2 months apart.

My cascade got eaten by insects (despite regular spritzes with neem oil). No cones or sidearms.

Brewer's Gold got about 10' high, and got a few cones from it.

Magnum took off at the beginning of the year, but never produced any sidearms, and only a few cones.

Centennial is only about 4' tall and has no cones, but looks healthy.

Mt Hood is about 1' tall and barely hanging in there. It was planted late though (June).

Of the plants listed, for me chinook is the best producer. I planted as many different types as possible but the plan was to learn what I like and remove the issue plants as I figured out what that meant. All my nobles are on the chopping block. They will either be moved, sold, or burned. I plan to double up on my personal favorite. So that's what worked for me, does that help?

That was my plan, although I am obviously hoping for little to no "issue plants." I have got a lot of good advice through this thread and I think I'm going to stay away from the nobles and stick with hybrids. I also need to check which varieties grow best up here in MA. Does anyone have a source for that?

Rather than ask what grows in MA, pick the hops your interested in then read about them or ask the boards. The question of what grows in my area never gets answered. The question will hop X grow well at location Y gets answered more often.

Just pick 5 varieties and plant them all. The ones that do well, keep them for next year. Rhizomes are only about $5 each.

Picking the right hops to plant is important. You can save a lot of grief by learning more about the varieties before you purchase. The 3rd generation hybrids are awesome compared to the old standard nobles but it is very difficult to find rhizomes. Also consider your planting site conditions. For example; acid type soils and water allow you to grow Hallertauer and it's hybrids, or Spalters. (Think Bocks, pilsners, lagers) Most important of all, pick varieties that you would use in your favorite brews. It doesn't make much sense to plant a super high alpha or bittering hop if you can't stand the taste. Also, consider dual purpose hops like Chinook, Challenger, Horizon, and Perle - all varieties that have bittering and aroma profiles that can be used in a wide range of brews and styles.

Back