Is it safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exotic.trigga

Reaction score
Hello, I just finished brewing a winter spice ale and it has been in the primary for about 2.5 weeks. Finished fermenting about a week and a half ago a cording to the FG readings. I opened up my primary to transfer it into my keg and noticed a layer of green on top. Looks to me like mold since I've never seen it on any other batch. It smells and tastes ok when tasting the sample. Is this mold? Should I dump it? TIA

Attachments

• 20171202_143613.jpg
    20171202_143613.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 146
That's a pellicle from some sort of contamination, but it is completely safe. If it tastes good, I'd just go ahead and proceed normally but follow with a strong cleaning regimen for any equipment touched by the beer.

That's a pellicle from some sort of contamination, but it is completely safe. If it tastes good, I'd just go ahead and proceed normally but follow with a strong cleaning regimen for any equipment touched by the beer.
Awesome, good to hear. I really didn' want to dump it. Turned out to be a good beer just by the samples I took for hydrometer. I just scraped the top layer off before I siphoned it. Cold crashing now. Thanks for the reassurance

Drink that beer up fast, before the off-flavors set in. As mentioned, it won't hurt you, but it might not stay fresh very long.
I got rid of the layer on top and stopped the siphon early to avoid the top inch or so of beer. When I scraped it off, I noticed it was like a film, so it came out easily

Trash the bucket, not worth ruining another batch. I’d also trash any tubing too. You’re talking maybe $20 if not less? The ingredients for one batch probably cost more than that.

All of your plastic equipment that touched the beer should be replaced. After that review your sanitation practices - I recommend cleaning with a hot PBW soak and then sanitizing with StarSan.

Back