Is it safe to bottle if beer has reached expected FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxyaardvark

Reaction score
I made the northern brewer st. paul porter kit and have had it sitting in primary for about 6 weeks. I moved my carboy to bottle and suddenly it started bubbling again. There is a thin layer of foam on top of the beer now. I measured the SG with my hydrometer and it read 1.01 which is within the expected FG (1.01-1.015) for this beer. I did take the carboy out of a swamp cooler that just had water in it so I figure the slight heating of the solution may be releasing CO2. Am I safe to bottle at a FG of 1.01? I don't want bottle bombs.

The bubbling is just CO2 from solution being released because you moved the fermenter and it's warming slightly. At 6 weeks, it "should" be done. The gravity needs to be stable for 2-3 days before knowing the beer is "done". Since it's at your expected FG, wait another day or two and take another reading. If it's the same, then you're good to go. Bubbling, airlock activity, and foam on the surface are not indicators of fermentation, only gravity changes are sure-fire ways to know what is what.

Good luck!

You probably only have co2 coming out of solution, but the only way to be sure is to take a second reading. If it is the same it is pretty well assured you are done or have a stuck fermentation. I would make the assumption that if you are at target and stable it is done and not stuck.

I've made that mistake twice when using an unfamiliar yeast. I gave it my usual 3 weeks and since it was at the expected FG, I bottled it. I won't do that again with that yeast. 2 bottle bombs and 2 cases of highly carbonated beer to deal with isn't my idea of how I want to brew. Take a second reading, maybe even more than the 3 days apart just to be sure.

Back