Is it ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Morris

Reaction score
Hi, I'm doing my first home brew and have a basic question.

My OG was perfectly in the suggested range from the manufacturer. After 4 days or so, I took another measurement as the CO2 was slowing. The second gravity reading was exactly where the manufacturer said it should be when finished. I then transferred to a secondary container where it has sat for a couple days.

Question...since my gravity readings are exactly where they should be, does that mean I'm ready to bottle? Or, should I leave it in my secondary container for a couple weeks before bottling?

Thanks.

I'd say you're safe.
I use carboys and don't normally take gravity readings to prevent the chances of infection. My beer stays in the primary for exactly three weeks waiting for the fermentation to finish up and my cue is seeing the yeast drop as CO2 offput tapers off. Gravity readings are done when I bottle and I've never had a problem with this method - yet.

When in doubt give it extra time. An extra week in the process is nothing compared to a batch of bottle bombs. I also give everything a minimum of two full weeks from brew day before bottling.

Patience friend.
I know as a new brewer you can't wait to drink it. I was the same. And I use to take readings 15 times and fret and worry about am I doing this exactly right...searching here and elsewhere and finding 1000 different answers... etc.
The best advice is.... RELAX.
Homebrewing should be fun and relieve stress, not add it.
I never bottle less than 3 weeks after pitching yeast. It isn't worth the risk. Beer doesn't always ferment the same, even when making the same beer. I have seen a batch blast through fermentation and the bubbler dies down etc. in as little as 3-4 days. Other times, it took 5-6 days...stopped, then restarted again for a few more days.
Let it sit. It will never hurt it, and only improve it.
And BTW - don't secondary. For the life of me I don't know why HBS still advise it other than they just want to sell you a secondary carboy. It is not necessary and you are taking a significant chance of infection doing so.

Cheers

Back