Is it possible I only boil off 2qt/hour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbrain

Reaction score
I'm still new and dialing in my kettle into my software. I couldn't figure out why my SG was off compared to the recipe. So I changed the efficiency to match my pre-boil gravity, then kept changing my evaporation rate until my SG matched.

1.050 Pre-Boil
1.058 Starting Gravity

That worked out to 2qt/hour but that seems low doesn't it? I guess the numbers don't lie. I was using the default 3.2 qt/hr before that. This is a 20qt/12" aluminum kettle on a stove top with a turbo water "boiler." It's a decent rolling boil but not massively vigorous ala water or low volume starters etc.

Thoughts?

My old 7 gallon turkey fryer kettle only boiled off 2 quarts per hour, so yes, its possible. I found it hard to believe at first too, but this number was proven time and time again, don't sweat it.

I do keep my boil pretty low, just enough to circulate the water.

Thanks. Just starting to dial everything in so I can consistently recreate batches. For my stout I had previously done a mini-mash with extract 5 gallon. This time I did all grain 2.5 gallons. Bottled last night and I didn't quite hit my FG so I am a little disappointed. And the sample didn't quite taste like the first time, although I switched from 2 row to Maris Otter so maybe that's why. And it's all grain. It tasted grainer actually. We'll see how it is in 6 weeks.

My system is the complete opposite as it seems to boil off over 1.5 gallons/hour. I wonder if elevation plays a factor? We are pretty high up, something like 1000m above sea level.

"My system is the complete opposite as it seems to boil off over 1.5 gallons/hour. I wonder if elevation plays a factor? We are pretty high up, something like 1000m above sea level."

Not really. I'm close to sea level, but generally boil off 1.5+ gal/hr. It's mostly about how much heat your burner can get into the wort. Converting liquid to gas takes a lot of energy. If your burner isn't pumping out much heat, you don't covert much water to steam.

Marris Otter is more biscuity and maltier, or "grainer" as you put it, than 2 Row. Thats probably it.
Maybe I'll brew the exact same recipe with the 2 row ands see which I prefer. Hope this batch turns out good though. I want to have a tasting party. I think my tripel will brew on the mark. Bottling a red this weekend. Who knows what that will taste like.

Pot diameter and boil ferocity are two huge contributors to boiloff. I would imagine humidity has something to do with it too??

tre9er said:
Pot diameter and boil ferocity are two huge contributors to boiloff. I would imagine humidity has something to do with it too??

Agreed. Surface area is the largest factor to the evaporation. I'm certain that humidity effects evaporation rate as well.

Latest posts

Back