Is it pasteurized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henkelbrau

Reaction score
I am experimenting with making cheap hard cider. I bought a gallon of Kroger brand apple juice. It doesnt have preservatives (only vitamin c added). It doesnt say pasteurized anywhere on it. Can I just use it as is?

henkelbrau said:
I was just wondering if I needed to do anything to it first.
you can add sugar but definitely add yeast. Sorry if I'm being obvious. Pasteurized is fine preservatives are not. :)

If you are unsure you can add some cambden to it, but then you need to let it set for 24 - 48 hours it should have instructions on it and it is cheap.

If it's in a bottle on the shelf at a store with some kind of supply chain, then it's ready to go - it's either pasteurized or UV treated. Even if it's from the fridge at a big farm stand, it's almost certainly been UV treated.

Thanks dyqik. That's what I wanted to know. I went ahead and pitched last night with my cote des blancs yeast in my Carlo Rossi jug. It's got airlock activity as of this morning. I'll see how it goes

Cool thanks dyqik. That's what I wanted to know. I actually pitched already so we'll see how it goes.

Back