Is it okay to let my cider sit without yeast for a couple days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RinTheHuman

Reaction score
I decided to start my first hard cider yesterday (had strictly brewed beer before) and am letting it sit with campden for 24 hours since the cider is raw and unfiltered from a local orchard. Was going to add my Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast today, but after further research this morning I want to switch to Safale S-04, but my local home-brew supply isn't open today. Is my cider okay sitting at room temp until tomorrow?

I figure it is, but just want to be safe. Thanks!

If you hit it with the campden you should be fine as long as it remains sealed.

Not sure that it needs to be sealed. What you want to happen is that the K-meta (the Campden tabs) release SO2 into the must and that SO2 will kill any wild yeast and bacteria (sulfites are a basic bacteriacide) but want you also want is that that free SO2 evaporate off before you add your yeast. The colony you will inoculate with will be large enough to overcome the SO2 but why would you want to start the fermentation process of by handicapping the yeast. In my opinion it would be better to cover the cider but not "seal" it.

To clarify - sealed with an airlock.

Agreed. More than one day is already risky- to let it sit multiple days multiplies the risk. I would not do this- but if you must, then certainly keep it airlocked and try to reduce the risk of oxygen loving bacteria and yeast.

Agreed. More than one day is already risky- to let it sit multiple days multiplies the risk. I would not do this- but if you must, then certainly keep it airlocked and try to reduce the risk of oxygen loving bacteria and yeast.

To satisfy my curiosity, when you add K-meta before pitching yeast you prevent any evaporation of the SO2?

To satisfy my curiosity, when you add K-meta before pitching yeast you prevent any evaporation of the SO2?

Well, you can't really prevent evaporation of the So2. It's like other things in the air- it dissipates where it dissipates. Even airlocking it- you're still subject to the laws of physics and the ideal gas law.

Well, you can't really prevent evaporation of the So2. It's like other things in the air- it dissipates where it dissipates. Even airlocking it- you're still subject to the laws of physics and the ideal gas law.

Totally understand that but I would have thought that the water barrier would be enough to inhibit evaporation of the free SO2 in 24 hours.

Back