Is it ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
I don't know if this should be here or in the General Chit Chat section, but...

I need to know if this is normal. I brewed my first ever batch on Sunday afternoon (a Northern English Brown Ale) and now I can't seem to do anything but sit and stare as it happily bubbles and ferments. I just sit there and drool and daydream about what is to come... :cross: Does everyone go through this? I'm not alone am I? Is there something wrong with me? :D

Yeah you've been bit by the bug. I ferment in a closet in my hallway and every time I walk by the closet when there is a carboy in there I have to crack the closet open and take a look, lol.

My carboy's sit in the tub in the downstairs bathroom while the yeasties do their magic.

Guess where I do my business.

BenDover-HA! Thats funny! Ya man, when shes a bubblin, i cant keep my eyes off. I love watching the fermentation. Major addiction!

My first batch was brewed just last month. I'm almost 31 and when I saw my first bubbling airlock I squealed like a little girl. LOL

You know the old saying, "A watched fermenter never ferments". No, that's not true. Even now I like to go down and look at it each day. A word of caution...make sure you are protecting it from light when you are watching it for hours. You don't want to end up with skunky beer.

It will stop soon, though, and you'll be sad :(

So you'll want to brew another batch ASAP :D

That way you have something to look at, and you get your pipeline going strong!

But watch out, the matrix has you--soon you're brewing double batches on the weekend, and then it's not far to spending $500 on kegging and refrigeration, and then you're buying gear for backyard brewing, and soon you have an automated all-grain brewing setup in your garage and you're the most popular guy in the neighborhood :rockin:

I'm on my third batch and I always go into the basement and sniff the aromas coming from the airlock.

Back