Is it OK to let the WORT REST??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bpts_finest13

Reaction score
Whats up every one @ HTB
So yesterday I was attempting my 1st all grain batch (my 3rd batch over all).
It was a simple cream ale 1.5 gal. well my stove is electric and it really sux and was taking way too long to boil the wort. The SWMBO decided that she was getting hungry, so being a Noob and all I decided since it was taking way too long that I would turn the stove off and we could go eat. That's what I did and when we got back there was a lot of FOAM??!! which i don't know its technical name on top. It was pretty thick. Anyways I resumed the heat and also scooped most of it out before the boil and addition of hopps. Please tell me that I didn't ruin anything.

It isn't recommended to stop in the middle but it probably won't hurt anything. The foam you saw was likely hot break which forms when the wort first boils. Had you left it in, it would have clumped up and disappeared but it shouldn't hurt to have removed it either. Let me know when you have it bottled and I'll come help you sample it because I think it will turn out really good.

It isn't recommended to stop in the middle but it probably won't hurt anything. The foam you saw was likely hot break which forms when the wort first boils. Had you left it in, it would have clumped up and disappeared but it shouldn't hurt to have removed it either. Let me know when you have it bottled and I'll come help you sample it because I think it will turn out really good.

Thanx.. I will save you a couple.. Long distance but not long enough for good brews!!

I don't mean to throw your range under the bus, but it couldn't get 1.5 gallons to boil?
Probably not a great idea to leave wort in the danger zone, but if we follow the rules of food safety and you returned and resumed a temperature over 165 within a couple hours, everything is probably going to be just fine.

Yeah my stove kinda blows!!
I could boil up to 3 gal.. just takes too long.. it started as 2.25 and boiled down to approximately to 1.5

Yeah I spent the weekend looking at Bayou Burners and other propane burners. This hobby is taking over my life... lol

Take a look at Cabelas.com. they had a turkey fryer for $40 plus shipping. Not the worlds best but I think it would beat out your stove.

Picked up another turkey fryer at Wal Mart yesterday. It ws marked $45 but rang up $35. Might be a regional thing but it's something you could look into.

I routinely boil 6.5+ gal on a cheap turkey fryer. It might not be the most efficient use of propane but it has worked great for me.

Thats how most of us do it at first. hell, works fine for me! if it would boil faster i'd be cool with it haha

Should be fine, as long as you brought it back up to a boil for a while, after you ate. I mean its not like you had a fondue dinner. I doubt you left it there too long, to matter. That's the bummer with stove burners. It's nice when you can get a full boil, QUICKLY - even with 5 or 10 gallons!

If you're already spending $40 on a turkey fryer, you might as well spend $50 and get an sq14 burner! It'll blow away any turkey fryer you get, and shows its worth tenfold, even compared with the included pot that you'd get with a turkey fryer kit.

You can get a pot somewhere else(if you even need a bigger one). Eventually you'll probably be buying keggles anyway ;) ... And the sq14 fits any kettle/keggle with no problems.

I had a really crappy stove burner also, which is why I started buying turkey fryers. Bought 2 then finally got an sq14. Love it. Am looking to buy 1 more so I can replace the turkey fryers altogether. However the one good thing I got out of buying those were the collection of stainless/aluminum pots!

Either way, it'll be nice to get out of the kitchen and really get some good full boils!

No they're not that close..
Trying to get my hands on some burners, but until then ill just keep making some small batches:(

I used to boil on the stovetop and it was a continuous struggle to get even 2-3 gallons at a decent boil - not to mention boilovers in the kitchen can be a huge mess as compared to boilovers in the garage or on the deck.

Once I got a keggle and a SH140L burner my homebrew life made a tremendous turn for the better!

Yeah I'm planning on getting some burnwrs in a couple weeks.. until then I think I will use a couple pots to get somewhat of bigger batches..

I got a turkey fryer on craigslist for like $25. It was hard not to laugh as the lady explained to me how to deep fry a turkey. I didn't tell her that the chance of me using the burner to deep fry a turkey were slightly lower than the chance of me using it as a hairdryer.

I got a turkey fryer on craigslist for like $25. It was hard not to laugh as the lady explained to me how to deep fry a turkey. I didn't tell her that the chance of me using the burner to deep fry a turkey were slightly lower than the chance of me using it as a hairdryer.

Hahaha!! That made me LOL...I immediately got an image of somebody using their burner as a hair dryer!!

If you're already spending $40 on a turkey fryer, you might as well spend $50 and get an sq14 burner! It'll blow away any turkey fryer you get, and shows its worth tenfold, even compared with the included pot that you'd get with a turkey fryer kit.

Hey chapa, how loud is the sq14? I keep borrowing a friends turkey fryer that does a great job, but it is real noisy at full burn. So I want to get a burner that does not sound like a jet engine when I am bringing 8 gals to boil.

Hey chapa, how loud is the sq14? I keep borrowing a friends turkey fryer that does a great job, but it is real noisy at full burn. So I want to get a burner that does not sound like a jet engine when I am bringing 8 gals to boil.

Ohhh man...don't get me started on my love for this burner :D like I said I've had 2 other turkey fryers, and this thing blows them away. SOOOO quiet...at full blast its not loud at all! And once I get to a rolling boil I turn it down and you can't even hear it. I've thought at times that it kicked off or needed to be re-lit, but sure enough its still cranking!

Seems to be much more efficient propane usage than the other 2 turkey fryers I've had! The stand is solid, square shaped, and large enough to fit any kettle/keggle with no problems.

Turkey fryers aren't a bad alternative, and they may get you a nice collection of pots going, but its hit or miss on the burner and stands usually suck and definitely don't always fit a keggle! I have to put a bbq pit grate on there everytime I use it(still haven't totally replaced my rig w both sq14s yet). One of the burners was ridiculously loud-like a jet plane and had an inefficient burn-it had a weird shape to the actual flame and took forever to get a good boil. The other burner has a better flame but still isn't very efficient on gas usage, is still loud, and has a cheesy stand(the one that needs a bbq grate to fit my keggle).

So yes, it is very quiet, and a great deal at $50 shipped :D I told ya not to get me started ;)

+1 on the sq14. I use it with a keggle and have only done 5 gal batches so far, but it works great. Takes a little bit of fiddling with the air intake to get it set how you want, but I used some foil tape to hold the intake how I want it and now I don't have to touch it. Got it from good old Amazon for $50 with free shipping. :mug:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
SQ-14 is awesome! The frame is big, sturdy/solid enough to fit quite a large kettle. I have a 9 gallon kettle but i'm sure it'd easily hold larger. I can get 7.5 gallons up to boil in maybe 15min...

ive got 2 turkey fryer burners on my tri level brew rig. may not be as efficient but they work perfect and i do an occasional 10 gal. batch but mostly 5's.

ill buy nicer burners when these no longer serve me. they were freebies from CL so they paid for themselves immediately.

I guess turkey fryers must be hit or miss then. I'm pretty happy with mine and it holds my 12 gallon pot no problem. I haven't used it to boil more than a 7 gallon batch yet.

Back