Is it just me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvodude

Reaction score
I happily brew both extract and all grain depending on my mood and time available. Recently I brewed an extract IPA after my last three or four being AG.
Long story short- it had significant chill haze. That got me thinking that most of my extract brews have had at least some chill haze whereas my AG brews do not seem to. Not all of my extracts, but many.
Is this unusual, or is it possibly something in my technique? It doesn't bother me. The beer is good regardless, but I was just wondering if this was typical for many.

Don't know the science behind it, but my partial and AG beers are usually clearer than extract.

I'm with you - doesn't bother me if the beer is hazy. Merely an observation.

Does not bother me, but its a pain in the ass to get other people to like a hazy beer unless they are craft beer lovers and understand.

My dad will no matter how good a beer taste, not be happy with a cloudy beer. Guess that ages of nice "cold" filtered beer does that to some people.

I guess the first question (other than the mahing part) is, what do you do differently between the AG and Extract brews?

have you tried finings and cold crashing? Some people have good luck with it since the cold crashing increases the size of the haze matter enough to be influenced by the finings.

The easy answer is that you should only give your dad your AG beer!!!

As I've often said,I let it sit in primary After reaching FG to let it clear to a slight haze before priming/bottling. After 1 1/2-2 weeks,they're crystal clear. But when they hit the fridge at 3-4 weeks,they haze up as soon as they cool down. That's a big reason as to why many of us let them sit in there for 5 days. It can take that long to clear up again. There are some other things going on as well. But that's the most visible reason.

Ever since I started using whole hops, I've found that my beers are much clearer. They seem to act as thousands of little filters.

I started brewing the brewer's best extract kits with steeping grains. Once I began doing all grain recipes I too noticed a big difference in clarity.

Back