Is it just me or does home brew make you parp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxelF

Reaction score
A delicate subject .... but I have consumed a lovely Imperial stout .... but boy does it make me float to the ceiling! 🤣

My other Larger brews have not done this! Perhaps I have not let it condition long enough !

#GaciousMaximus

🤣🤣🤣

Is there lactose in the stout? Perhaps you are intolerant.
Nope ,,, just used the barley malt extract in the tin and only added a bit of glucose to the bottle also i'm not lactose intolerant.
I think I was just a noob drinking a lot of my beer before it had properly aged .... and then drinking the yeasty dregs in the bottom of the bottle :)

#LearnedTheHardWay :) :) :)

I doubt it's lactose intolerance. Yeast in beer can cause gastrointestinal distress. It's the yest.

I know what a shart is, so what's a "parp"?
Hahaha, such an educational web site! :)

I was wondering too, tried Googling it, and wound up with a load of stuff about "poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase". It sounded like the kind of thing one might find on Urban Dictionary, which I often have to consult after a game of Cards Against Humanity, so I looked there.

Long story short, it's British slang for fart.

See Urban Dictionary: Parp for more details.

I have since found out it's only the Imperial stout that causes it ..... Not my German Pilsner ! ....

But I now have a party trick ... I can fart the national anthem 🤣

It's not just the yeast but there are dextrins in your beer.
A dextrin by any other name is simply a complex carbohydrate produced in your grains. Mashing, decoction and the boil process will influence your dextrin content, too. Less highly modified malts and the kilned dark crystal are fairly rich to begin with so when you're doing a "big beer" with a higher specific gravity, expect some leftover complex carbs, expanding CO2, and yeast aftereffects from digestion.
Modifying your recipes and process can reduce your gas issues but it's something all beer lovers should expect. Your inherited traits from your relatives affect your digestion, too, Some people have issues with lactose and others are sensitive to breads and vegetables like beans, peas, lentils, zucchini, and squashes. When you drink a beer with this sort of food the gas effect will be magnified.

Last edited:
Lol yes ... I read it and it was hilarious ...it was spicy picked eggs too 😲

folate? niacin? i know when i started living off beans, for the first year gave me gas....now i eat them all day no problem....

edit: beer is healthy, maybe your just getting used to heath food! ;)

Back