Is it infected? What's this white stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myerstyson

Reaction score
Buddy of mine did a DME extract kolsch kit and when he opened the fermenter to bottle, he saw this.

11951084_10153664894409273_349803975_n.jpg

"Is it infected? What's this white stuff"
^^^ That's what she said :ban:

But seriously, looks fine to me. Does it taste off?

He said it tasted fine, but was worried about that white stuff. I don't remember ever having that in any of my brews.

And yes, I should have thought of Michael Scott before typing that line. ;)

Definitely looks infected to me...that's a broken pellicle. Lactobacillus is the most likely culprit but you can't always tell just by looking at it.

If it tastes fine he's ok to drink it, but be wary that bacteria will slowly ferment sugars that yeast was unable to ferment. This could result in exploding bottles if he lets them sit for a long time. Drink it relatively quickly (within 1-2 months or so) and he should be fine.

Definitely looks infected to me...that's a broken pellicle. Lactobacillus is the most likely culprit but you can't always tell just by looking at it.

If it tastes fine he's ok to drink it, but be wary that bacteria will slowly ferment sugars that yeast was unable to ferment. This could result in exploding bottles if he lets them sit for a long time. Drink it relatively quickly (within 1-2 months or so) and he should be fine.

+1 look at the hop ring.

That broken ice pack look is definitely the early stage of an infection. If it's at a stable FG, bottle it now, but keep the Vco2 down to about 2.3. That'll leave room for any extra carbonation produced by the infection...if it does at all.

Latest posts

Back