Is it gonna blow??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macanudojohn

Reaction score
So I am working on my second batch, successful boil on Sunday, now the airlock is full of wort and the lid looks like its going to blow off the top...what should I do to salvage it?!

I would remove the airlock (carefully), cover it with some foil while I clean my airlock and then replace it, or if you still have a very active fermentation, replace it with a blow off tube. I had one blow in my fermentation fridge and that was not fun to clean up!

You need to rig a blowoff tube- a piece of tubing connected to the fermentor or the airlock which leads into a bottle of sanitizer. Do a quick search for blowoff tube if you're having trouble imagining it.

Same thing happened to me with one of my first brews. I didn't think about krausen. I brewed a 5 gallon batch and fermented in a 5 gallon fermenter. (Needless to say, I bought a bigger fermenter)

Being that I'm not very handy and I didn't really feel like building an actual blow-off tube, I just put my racking cane in the hole of the airlock stopper, rigged a hose and put it in a bucket. it worked pretty well, and I didn't have any explosion.

Being that I'm not very handy and I didn't really feel like building an actual blow-off tube, I just put my racking cane in the hole of the airlock stopper, rigged a hose and put it in a bucket. it worked pretty well, and I didn't have any explosion.
What part of that is "not very handy?" MacGyver himself would be pretty impressed with that rig. :mug:

I used the tubing that came with the kit for the autosiphon/bottling bucket, and put it into a gallon of water (1/2 filled with a water and star san solution) and it is bubbling away. The airlock got clogged at some point between when I left for work and returned. Only got a little krausen on me and the workbench! :eek:

My first batch was an IPA, this is an English Stong Ale with an OG of 1.77, so I guess it needed a bit more room than the IPA did!! Crisis averted, thanks for the quick responses!!

Love the forum!

What part of that is "not very handy?" MacGyver himself would be pretty impressed with that rig.

Why thank you. I meant that I suck at building things. At first I was afraid the narrowness of the racking cane would be a problem, but it was fine.

Back