Is it done yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesbeer

Reaction score
I've had an English IPA in the fermenter for three weeks now. Starting OG at 1.060. The airlock stopped any action a week ago but when I took a reading ( 1.015 ), it started up again so I left it alone. Yesterday the water in the airlock actually showed a slight vacuum. Today I took another reading ( still 1.015 ) but the airlock is active again. I've heard of "gassing out" but I am careful not to disturb it too much. I plan to bottle this weekend but now not sure how much priming I need since this guy keeps waking up!???????

yup it sounds done with 2 readings that far apart being the same. What did your recipie say the final gravity would be? Are you way off and that is why your worried?

It's finished. Airlock activity (or lack of) isn't a reliable way to tell what's going on.

It sounds like the weather got warmer and then cooler for you. That could be why the airlock activity (warmer) and then some vacuum forming (cooler). I've noticed that people have pitched their yeast into warmer wort, and let it go, like from 75 degrees down to 65 degrees. Then, the airlock liquid gets sucked back into the fermenter some, because of the cooling inside the fermenter causing a vacuum. Even the barometric pressure rising can cause the airlock to bubble.

If your FG isn't changing, it's finished.

Recipe said final around 1.010-1.014 so I think I'm there. I changed it a bit with an extra 1/2 lb of Amber Malt looking for a little more oomph! It just looks finished until I touch it! I'm anxious to get it bottled! FG hasn't chnaged in the last there days

Could be right yooperbrew...wweather has been crazy here the past week...HOT then cold thne low pressure storms then high pressure sunny! What's a beer to think? Right?

Back