Is it better to carbonate beer at 66 F or 80 F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only have 2 places where I can set my beer to carbonate in the house and have it out of my wife's way. Thus, Is it better to carbonate beer at 66 F (in the basement) or 80 F (upstairs)?

I know that long term storage will be done at 66 F but I am just asking about the 2-3 week to carbonate.

Belgians are experts at fermentation, they bottle condition their beers warm often 80 degrees.

I would do the lower temp, may take longer, but for beers that aren't strong and esthery like Belgos, I would feel more comfortable with that, even though technically, you probably can do it at the higher temp.

In Florida I have no choice but to carbonate at 78' (the AC setting). No ill effects.

You might want to carbonate high for two weeks and them move them to the basement to age.

I figured the basement was the best place for them. Better to take an extra week to carb than to turn funky just in case the heat wave does not break. Friday my porch thermometer read 101 F and it was in the shade.

Latest posts

Back