Is it bad to freeze grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviousalex

Reaction score
I bought some cracked grains ahead of time and tossed them in the freezer. Was that a bad idea? Should I let them thaw before using them?

No, not bad to be in the freezer, although they should be in a thick enough bag for it. I would definitely let them thaw, especially if mashing (temperatures are very important).

Freezing is great. Kills all of the bugs that you didn't know were in your grain...

But bugs give that deep, nutty flavor, no? Aphids & small beetles especially...

But really, the longest I've been told to keep grain frozen is 2-3 months. After that (according to my former LHBS owner), sugar crystals tend to start "decomposing" (wrong word, but you get the idea), and your efficiency will drop like a rock.

if I have to get milled grains a few days before brewing I always throw them in the fridge/freezer. When I am ready to brew I take them out the morning of, while keeping them in the bag try and push them out into as thin a layer as possible, and let them sit for a few hours until they reach room temp. I have never had a problem but at the same time I never keep them chilled more than 5 days.

I guess if I was smart I would just buy my own grain mill.

Definitely best to freeze grain and then bring to room temp for mashing (or just adjust your water temps) I probably should have put my buckets of grain out in the shop over the winter to keep them cold/frozen.

But really, the longest I've been told to keep grain frozen is 2-3 months. After that (according to my former LHBS owner), sugar crystals tend to start "decomposing" (wrong word, but you get the idea), and your efficiency will drop like a rock.

I just brewed CO3C Cream Ale with grain that's been in the freezer for a year or more. My efficiency was 80%. It's bottle conditioning right now, I'll report back on how it tastes. :fro:

I thought I remember a BN show with a grain guy that said to not freeze your grains. I could be remembering it wrong though.

I highly doubt that anything will happen. Possibly degrading sugar, but doubtful. When this stuff is delivered to the mega brewers, it is just stored in silos outside, and for us northern brewers, in the winter that will get down to the -40's, and I'm sure they are not too worried about it.

Latest posts

Back