Is honey in the keg OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinout

Reaction score
Well, as the title states....is it?
I brewed a Dunkel and am now thinking of adding honey to the keg in hopes of getting some honey flavor.
If so, how much for 5 gallons? Dump straight in or do something to it first?

I've done it with pretty good results. I heated up about 8oz of water and added to the water to dissolve the honey. Make sure your beer is at serving temperature or any yeast will start fermentation because of the sugar.

While you could add honey to a keg, the tricky part is that the honey will ferment unless the yeast is killed, or the keg is kept cold. Honey is also mostly sugar, so the resultant beer will ber very sweet relative to the honey flavor imparted. You could try say a pound of honey. Honey malt is also often used to provide a honey flavor to the finished beer.

I went ahead and kegged without, if I feel it's needing more flavor then I'll add a pound. I also promised the wife I'd make a honey beer soon, so maybe an American wheat is on the way and I'll try honey with it.

Back