Is GRAPEFRUIT SCULPIN made with real grapefruit juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Yep.
Is GRAPEFRUIT SCULPIN made with real grapefruit juice? Or do they use grapefruit essence or "natural flavor?"?

I'm waking up to inspiration here! Thanks for your help :mug:.

On their site it says "This version of our Sculpin IPA has grapefruit added." My best guess would be real juice and zest. I'd try emailing them to confirm. They may not be willing,to divulge everything, but I bet they'd tell you what they use.

I cannot speak to exactly what Ballast Point uses, but I have had great luck with using grapefruit zest and soaking it in 100 proof vodka for about a week. I just dump that all into the fermenter. When making zest, it is important to avoid the white pith of the rind, that can get really bitter and astringent. I use a fine zest grater to just get the surface of the peel.

Yep.
Is GRAPEFRUIT SCULPIN made with real grapefruit juice? Or do they use grapefruit essence or "natural flavor?"?

I'm waking up to inspiration here! Thanks for your help :mug:.

I hear it's made with real Sculpin :cross:

I am trying to copy that as well, I found Pink Grapefruit extract ( natural ) but think there must be some other flavor since that is not doing it for me

our home brew club just did a hops tasting and I have to say, Galaxy and Azacca taste a LOT like pink grapefruit, so there is that to consider..

I posted on this on a different thread. Although I don't know what Ballast Point does (I have heard they use zest), I made an extract using grapefruit zest extracted with Everclear.

One drop in a glass of my IIPA gives a very nice grapefruit aroma and flavor.

I posted on this on a different thread. Although I don't know what Ballast Point does (I have heard they use zest), I made an extract using grapefruit zest extracted with Everclear.

One drop in a glass of my IIPA gives a very nice grapefruit aroma and flavor.

Can you detail your process? How much zest, how much vodka, how much time?

Back