Is bulk aging in a PET or Better Bottle a bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMcPherson

Reaction score
My #2 just went into my fridge to cold crash.
Is there a problem with using PET carboys for aging?

I don't believe so. I bulk aged my quad for 4 months in a big mouth bubbler (plastic) and didn't notice anything odd or off about it. It then sat in a keg under pressure for another 8 before it was tapped.
Since you have the lids on your bubblers that appear more air tight with that mod you did, I wouldn't see an issue really. Of course, I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back up my thoughts.

The Better Bottle web site has a bit about that, and they claim that the O2 infusion from a rubber bung and airlock far exceeds what will permeate their plastic. And if you clean them adequately there should be no left over flavors from previous batches. I'm willing to accept that, and currently have 3 gallons in one that I'm not going to touch for a few months.

The Better Bottle web site has a bit about that, and they claim that the O2 infusion from a rubber bung and airlock far exceeds what will permeate their plastic. And if you clean them adequately there should be no left over flavors from previous batches. I'm willing to accept that, and currently have 3 gallons in one that I'm not going to touch for a few months.

Well, I only have two 5 gal glass, each filled with cider bulk aging. The third (and best) 5 gal batch is in a PET bottle. It's already pretty clear, so I may bottle it anyway, and let the other 2 go the way they are. It may be that the BB type PET is less permeable than the bottling bottles, which are thinner. I'm just excited to have lots of real, fresh pressed cider!

I would go ahead and say that glass is probably better for bulk, it would be my preference anyway. Largest glass vessels I have, though, are 10 litres while my plastic containers are 25 litres.

I have about 25 litres of cider from September 2015 in a plastic bucket that I have not touched since I clicked the lid down. I don't know what it's going to be like, I never added nutrients and I haven't even taken a gravity reading since then. I haven't heard the airlock bubble in a while, anyway.

Since you have the lids on your bubblers that appear more air tight with that mod you did, I wouldn't see an issue really.
What are you referring to... I haven't done any mods?
Are you talking about my Gamma lids on my primary buckets?
I don't even screw those down tight. I use those so that I can get into my primary easily.

What are you referring to... I haven't done any mods?
Are you talking about my Gamma lids on my primary buckets?
I don't even screw those down tight. I use those so that I can get into my primary easily.

I'm an idiot. I had two tabs open and thought you were another poster. My bad.
Still, I stand by most my answer...it is okay.

Back