Is a collar possible on a mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caldridge32

Reaction score
I see that it is popular among home brewers that use keezers to build a collar for it. I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same kind of idea with a mini fridge. The mini fridge I have as you can see in the pictures will not close when a keg is in it. I have 2 choices.. A) cut the shelf on the door out to make room or B) build a collar.. Please share your thoughts

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

I had the same problem, thought that I measured correctly. I took the plastic shelves out of the door and replaced with fiber board, then I installed a 2 x 4 collar. I had to work out hinges and magnet for the door. All in all it works great.

I could get some pictures this evening if you want to see.

Take the inside panel of the door off. Unscrew the bracket that holds the door on and remove the door. Unscrew the rubber weather strip and then take the plastic panel off. Then with a utility knife cut inside door panel out leaving the outer strip for the screws. Replace the door panel with a piece of plastic coated board from the hardware store and use the original frame from the door panel to secure it. Screw it al back together and you should be able to fit two kegs in there.

I had the same problem, thought that I measured correctly. I took the plastic shelves out of the door and replaced with fiber board, then I installed a 2 x 4 collar. I had to work out hinges and magnet for the door. All in all it works great.

I could get some pictures this evening if you want to see.

I would appreciate pictures.. seeing something prior to doing it helps so much. Thanks for the feedback

Hi

Looks like a pretty standard attach for the inside stuff on the door. Clips through the gasket through the plastic into the sheet metal of the door.

Bob

I say go for it.

Too often we hesitate, and think what SHOULD we do.
Sometimes the real fun is just trying out wacky ideas and see what happens.
It sounds like a good idea to you.
It sounds good to me,.

Just do it.
If it does'nt work out well you had fun and can explore more wacky ideas.
In the end, you are the owner of that object.... Make it your way!

Latest posts

Back