Is 80 degrees Fahrenheit too warm for fermenting a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishOdell

Reaction score
I just brewed an oatmeal stout on Sunday afternoon. I checked it Monday around noon and it was chugging away with a nice krausen on top. However, I noticed it was at ~80F. I don't yet have a way to control temperatures while fermenting so I draped it with a wet towel and covered it back up(protection from light). The temperature is now at 68-70F and everything has slowed down. I can still see "movement" so I know it's still working away.
My question is was that early rise in temperature enough to ruin my batch.
Thanks for any input you can give me!
Cheers!

The wort tasted fantastic when I was getting my OG... I'm REALLY hoping I didn't let it get jacked up!!

Yes. I realize that picks up the ambient temperature, but would it be that much?

Testing done by a fellow brewer says that the stick on thermometer only varies by half a degree from what one in a thermowell in the center of the wort will show.

With the fermentation temperature that high you may get a stronger alcohol taste from the fusel alcohol that the yeast produce when fermented at that temp. Don't drink too much at a time, it is reported that the fusel alcohol can lead to a bad headache hangover.

Give this stout some extra time in the bottle so it matures and the hot alcohol taste will mellow some.

For the future, placing the fermenter into a small plastic bin from wallmart for a few bucks then add water and a few trays of ice every 6-8hrs is usually enough. In reality fermentation is mostly done in 2-3 days so that's all you really need.

If I really want precise temp control, I'll use a 10gallon cooler/ice bath. To recirculate and control temp, use coiled copper tubing with poly tubing attached to each end. It fits into the cooler. Then one end is open into the bin the other attached to a fountain pump submerged into the bin/water. The fountian pump is plugged into a temp controller of some type with the probe measuring the bin/water temp. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
For the future, placing the fermenter into a small plastic bin from wallmart for a few bucks then add water and a few trays of ice every 6-8hrs is usually enough. In reality fermentation is mostly done in 2-3 days so that's all you really need.

If I really want precise temp control, I'll use a 10gallon cooler/ice bath. To recirculate and control temp, use coiled copper tubing with poly tubing attached to each end. It fits into the cooler. Then one end is open into the bin the other attached to a fountain pump submerged into the bin/water. The fountian pump is plugged into a temp controller of some type with the probe measuring the bin/water temp. Easy peasy.
Excellent ideas! Thank you!

80F is perfectly fine... For a Saison...

(Or a stout if you have a love thing for esters and really skanky beer)

Ok... In all seriousness... Depending on your recipe, you might not notice the effects of temp. Don't dump it, you might be surprised. Esters are thrown during the beginning stages of fermentation but you may have caught it early enough to be ok. Give it a good diacetyl rest (a few days above 64F) at the end of fermentation. Don't be in a hurry. If you keg it, release the pressure a couple times a day after a good swishing. This might help void some of the volatiles. Sometimes, having some time at lower temps can really help.

Ok... In all seriousness... Depending on your recipe, you might not notice the effects of temp. Don't dump it, you might be surprised. Give it a good diacetyl rest (a few days above 64F) at the end of fermentation. Don't be in a hurry. If you keg it, release the pressure a couple times a day after a good swishing. This might help void some of the volatiles. Sometimes, having some time at lower temps can really help.
Thanks @So-Cal Doug!

@PianoMan would you have a picture of that set up? I want to make sure I've got it right in my head.
Here's the set up. Home Depot aquarium pump down in the kettel. The temp controller can be bought at any LHBS store or if your handy build one from a $15 controller from Amazon. Copper and poly tubing and clamps all from Home Depot.
20180913_111226.jpeg
1536856574293.jpeg

on a side note, windsor is about the one strain from danstar I won't use ever again, it's finnicky, very low attenuation and seems to not add that much over notty or us-04

on a side note, windsor is about the one strain from danstar I won't use ever again, it's finnicky, very low attenuation and seems to not add that much over notty or us-04
I had thought that Nottingham might be better, but there I go trying something new!

I've had my apartment go higher than 80F during the day while I'm at work with a batch fermenting and never had off flavors. That goes for lighter flavored beers such as Kölsch.

I bottled that batch today, so I guess we'll see if it's good or flammable. I'll keep you posted! Slainte!

Latest posts

Back