Is 3 months to long in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I brewed a dark ale and it went into the secondary Feb 9th. Original gravity was 1085. I have not touched it since. Now its the end of May and there are no signs of contamination or anything, but I have never put off bottling this long. I was planning on bottling it tomorrow. Will priming sugar be enough since it has been sitting so long or will I need to make a yeast starter to add before bottling, to ensure that the bottles carbonate ok??????

I have a similar problem. Racked into a glass secondary and locked last July. The flavor is good so I would like bottle it. I put 1/4 cup of corn sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of dry yeast into the carboy 2 days ago but no activity.

Can anyone recommend what to do next?

LAST JULY??

No activity would indicate that there is no more food (sugar) for the yeast to convert.

Why did you add something to done beer?

Now that you have I would wait a day or two to see if there is any activity.

If there isn't any then I would bottle it. Careful though, with the new sugar and then adding priming sugar you could be setting yourself up for some explosions.

Just taste test it in about a week. If you get nice carbonation then refridgerate the rest. It's ready.

Dark_Ale said:
I brewed a dark ale and it went into the secondary Feb 9th. Original gravity was 1085. I have not touched it since. Now its the end of May and there are no signs of contamination or anything, but I have never put off bottling this long. I was planning on bottling it tomorrow. Will priming sugar be enough since it has been sitting so long or will I need to make a yeast starter to add before bottling, to ensure that the bottles carbonate ok??????

Check your gravity with a hydrometer. It will tell you how low it is. IF it is still high the only choice you have is to add yeast. Make sure you use a good liquid starter.

Keep us informed as to what you PLAN on doing BEFORE you do so we can be of more help.

Telling us what you did without first knowing the consequences could be the wrong direction. :D It's harder to put out a fire than a flame.

Dark_Ale said:

should be fine. just drag the racking cane along the bottom of the carboy for about 3-4 inches while racking to bottling bucket or while bottling. that should stir up enough yeast for carbonation.

should be a smooth drink'n session beer by now! :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
should be fine. just drag the racking cane along the bottom of the carboy for about 3-4 inches while racking to bottling bucket or while bottling. that should stir up enough yeast for carbonation.

should be a smooth drink'n session beer by now! :D
Ok on the dark ale that sat in the secondary for 3 months is bottled all I did was add priming sugar....3/4 cup dark brown sugar..........(I will keep you informed)......I also had a barley wine that was about 4 moths old from the advice I got from the local homebrew shop I added one pack of champane yeast to the priming sugar once the yeast started to work I added the starter to the bucket, and siphoned the beer on to the starter, then bottled. I will keep you informed on the progress. I plan on opening a bottle of the barely wine and dark ale in two weeks.....

sounds like a man with a good plan to me! do you go to DeFalco's in Houston or the Brew Stop?

DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
sounds like a man with a good plan to me! do you go to DeFalco's in Houston or the Brew Stop?

DeRoux's Broux

DeFalco's ... Where is the Brew Stop located?

The Brew Stop is on Kurykendahl (not sure on spelling). Never been there. DeFalco's is my HBS of choice since I've been brewing. DeFalco's, Brew Stop, KGB Homebrew Club, and St. Arnold's are having the Big Batch Brew Bash this Sunday @ St. Arnold's. It's a porter competition this year. I'm gonna trek to H-town and see how my coffee porter rates?????

DeRoux's Broux said:
The Brew Stop is on Kurykendahl (not sure on spelling). Never been there. DeFalco's is my HBS of choice since I've been brewing. DeFalco's, Brew Stop, KGB Homebrew Club, and St. Arnold's are having the Big Batch Brew Bash this Sunday @ St. Arnold's. It's a porter competition this year. I'm gonna trek to H-town and see how my coffee porter rates?????
Oh ya I have been to that one. Its on the otherside of 45 off 1960. Its about half the size of defalcos, I would rather go to defalco's.

DeRoux's Broux said:
Well, how did it rate?

danflatten said:
Well, how did it rate?
Carbonated well, strong alcohol bite, too light on the hops, not the greatest but very tasty. I was concerned that it would not carbonate very good, but it carbonated very well, used 3/4 cup dark brown sugar.

Long secondaries for high gravity beers like yours isn’t uncommon. Give it a taste. The only concern would be autolysis. As for bottling, when working with high gravity beers, always prime the beer in the second stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling.

Good luck,
Wild

Back